Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, bresna said:

Charles Lloyd - Chapel (Blue Note). Kinda mellow for Lloyd. I got the vinyl and of course, there's stitching on the first track "Blood Count". When you're listening to a quiet track and you hear what sounds like a fart, it is not enjoyable.

I don't know why I ever got back into vinyl.

Charles Lloyd - Trios: Chapel - Amazon.com Music

I bought the CD. Sounds fine. I hear no farts.

[IMG] 
Re-listened to this to see if there was distortion in a place someone else heard it.

Then on to
"Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers" Pablo K2 remastered lp facsimile cd from Japan with two bonus tracks.

They came to swing. And boy did they! Great session.

[IMG] 

B.J. Jansen - Common Ground (RoninJazz). I was lucky to see this band perform the music from this CD live (at Scullers I think?).

Damn, I'm gonna miss Ralph Peterson. I was so lucky to live near Boston, where Ralph taught, so he was often called in to back singles playing in town. It got to the point where I'd see anyone who had Ralph in the drum chair.

Common Ground

cd_jackbennyfredallenfeud.gif

A friend gave me this, and I thought it was a CD. It's not, it's an MP3 disc, and it's taken be three days to get through it all! And TOTALLY worth it!

https://www.otrcat.com/p/jack-benny-and-fred-allen-feud

37 old time radio show recordings
(total playtime 21 hours, 17 min)
available in the following formats:

1 MP3 CD
or
20 Audio CDs

jack-benny-fred-allen-feud.png

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Active Ingredients (Chad Taylor, Jemeel Moondoc, Tom Abbs, Steve Swell, Rob Mazurek, David Boykin, Avreeayl Ra) – Titration (Delmark, 2003)

R-5333156-1390771818-6460.jpg

A very good one, which I somehow missed when it came out.

Chad Taylor is really incredible here.

Yes, a good one. I've never been disappointed by Taylor on record or live. Guaranteed satisfaction

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is turning into quite a binge.

I like all of these to be honest. Nothing I'd choose to own, but there's something about that throbbing impressionist Sebesky sound.

I could have kept going but now I'm refreshing my ears for the new Mosaic set arriving later today.  I have most all of the CTI recordings... just a very few short, actually (and they happen to be Hubert Laws albums).  I had most on Lp and they were bought new in the 70s.  I don't know why but the JC Penney near where I grew up had a record department which carried CTI.  A few years later, Tower Records moved in about a 1/2 mile from home.  I used to buy Blue Note cut-outs at the Montgomery Ward close by.  Had many Jimmy Smith and Stanley Turrentine from them.  Ah, the good old days!