Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Tyner and Davis solos on the title track are incredible. I hear a Stanley Cowell connection in song style and Tyner’s playing. Like this was an influence on SC.  

I'd never thought about that -- but it makes sense.  Tyner's influence was so far-reaching.  I'll give it a spin and see if I can hear the same. 

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'd never thought about that -- but it makes sense.  Tyner's influence was so far-reaching.  I'll give it a spin and see if I can hear the same. 

I'm playing the deluxe release with the bonus track Untitled Ballad (To Her Ladyship). It's ok. The title track and Aisha steal the show for me. 

Tania Maria "Come with Me" Concord Jazz Japan cd

s-l640.jpg

Somewhere around here I have this on SACD as well, but this cd sounds very good. 

I really like Tania more and more and pulled out about a half a dozen more of her cds to listen to in the near future. She's a bit nuts but man she has so much talent!

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I'm playing the deluxe release with the bonus track Untitled Ballad (To Her Ladyship). It's ok. The title track and Aisha steal the show for me. 

I have that same release, and I agree re: the bonus cut.  Understandable why it wasn't issued back in day.  It isn't on the same exalted level as the original three cuts, IMO.

I'm just now listening to Olé Coltrane, and I think I can hear what you were talking about.  Seems like Tyner's modalism became "part of the vocabulary" for many pianists -- especially guys like Stanley Cowell, John Hicks, and (a bit later) Mulgrew Miller.

Edited by HutchFan

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

especially guys like Stanley Cowell, John Hicks, and (a bit later) Mulgrew Miller.

Inspired me to listen to some Hicks

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

And quick question to the board:

OS00ODk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Just came across this LP online and don't recognize it. United Artists European issue only at discogs. Are these live tracks? And are they elsewhere other than this LP?  

Edited by Dub Modal

OS02NTM3LmpwZWc.jpeg

This is pretty much the band that I saw live in December of 1970, captured in a pretty reasonable recorded representation. To call them powerful would be a gross injustice!

If I had a time machine to go back to any gig I ever attended, that might be the one.. first live jazz, and LOCKJAW!!!

Harold Jones still does not get enough credit. Hell that vintage of Basie doesn't get enough credit. Blame it on the records. But not this one. 

Joe Turner "Stormy Monday" Pablo/OJC cd.

MI0002071914.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Recorded 1974-1978, previously unreleased tracks

Alto Saxophone – Bob Smith, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson
Bass – Charles Norris, Larry Gales, Robert Haynes, William Walker
Congas – Frederick Woods
Drums – Bruno Carr, Charles Randall, Washington Rucker
Guitar – Cal Green, Evans Walker, Gary Bell, Greg Beck, Pee Wee Crayton
Organ – Gildo Mahones
Organ, Piano – Jimmy Robins
Piano – Lloyd Glenn, Sylvester Scott
Tenor Saxophone – Bill Clark, Curtis Peagler, Rashid Ali, William "Wild Bill" Moore
Trumpet – Blue Mitchell, Clark Terry, Dizzy Gillespie, Harry Edison, Jake Porter, Joe Banks, Roy Eldridge
Vocals – Joe Turner