Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Barney Wilen with the Mal Waldron Trio "Movie Themes from France" 2022 Japanese cd reissue.

This is a great album I've enjoyed for years. Barney Wilen and Mal Waldron make a great pairing, each melodic improvisors who understand song structure so well and how to build and release tension and emotion in musical form.

Nice clear recording too.

Mi04MTY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

:tup:tup

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

0081227854263_600.jpg

I think I had this one, maybe it was one of the first Dynasty albums ? Then, most of the members still had played with Mingus, Somehow, especially because I had such an affinity to Mingus´ music who was among the very very first things I heard and led me to become the jazz fan I´ve been for the last 5 decades, I was so deeply depressed by his passing that I just couldn´t believe it. And hearing "ghost bands" play his music somehow hurt me. It even took me many months until I could buy "Me Myself an Eye", which came out in early 1979 and first I thought "A Mingus album without Mingus playing bass can´t be worth listening". 

Later, I think 10 years later I saw one of those "Mingus Dynasties" at Wiesen, but it was sad. Though the only left active Mingus musicians were nobody less than John Handy and George Adams, there was no fire in it, and Jimmy Knepper was conducting but seemed completly bored. Those were guys in semi coma doin some sad stuff without any life in it. 

As many records, I think I had sold or misplaced that "Chair in the Sky" after 2 times of spinning, I still was suffering that Mingus was not here anymore.....

2 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I had this one, maybe it was one of the first Dynasty albums ? Then, most of the members still had played with Mingus, Somehow, especially because I had such an affinity to Mingus´ music who was among the very very first things I heard and led me to become the jazz fan I´ve been for the last 5 decades, I was so deeply depressed by his passing that I just couldn´t believe it. And hearing "ghost bands" play his music somehow hurt me. It even took me many months until I could buy "Me Myself an Eye", which came out in early 1979 and first I thought "A Mingus album without Mingus playing bass can´t be worth listening". 

Later, I think 10 years later I saw one of those "Mingus Dynasties" at Wiesen, but it was sad. Though the only left active Mingus musicians were nobody less than John Handy and George Adams, there was no fire in it, and Jimmy Knepper was conducting but seemed completly bored. Those were guys in semi coma doin some sad stuff without any life in it. 

As many records, I think I had sold or misplaced that "Chair in the Sky" after 2 times of spinning, I still was suffering that Mingus was not here anymore.....

Excellent playing overall (John Handy !! Don Pullen !! Charlie Haden !!) and insightful arrangements by Sy Johnson .... this was the first and remains the best Mingus homage by this group ....supposed not to replace Charles Mingus, but to put another perspective on his body of work ....

Just now, soulpope said:

Excellent playing overall (John Handy !! Don Pullen !! Charlie Haden !!) and insightful arrangements by Sy Johnson .... this was the first and remains the best Mingus homage by this group ....supposed not to replace Charles Mingus, but to put another perspective on his body of work ....

Well yeah, Sy Johnson was a very good arranger and did many arrangements for Mingus, I think for his "Let My Children Hear Music". 
And the two times I saw Mingus live, he always started the set with "For Harry Carney", a minor blues in Bb with an ostinato bass-figure. Great tune especially the voicings. It´s quite strange that Mingus, who usually played his own compositions, always started the set with this tune, that was not composed by him. 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well yeah, Sy Johnson was a very good arranger and did many arrangements for Mingus, I think for his "Let My Children Hear Music". 
And the two times I saw Mingus live, he always started the set with "For Harry Carney", a minor blues in Bb with an ostinato bass-figure. Great tune especially the voicings. It´s quite strange that Mingus, who usually played his own compositions, always started the set with this tune, that was not composed by him. 

He played For Harry Carney next to last in the concert I saw.

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The version of Mingus Dynasty that I saw in 1983 was quite lively and played intensely (Ricky Ford, Johnny Coles, Horace Parlan, Richard Davis and Dannie Richmond).

16 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The version of Mingus Dynasty that I saw in 1983 was quite lively and played intensely (Ricky Ford, Johnny Coles, Horace Parlan, Richard Davis and Dannie Richmond).

Looks like an excellent Mingus Dynasty edition .... unfortunately never saw this one ....

"Tania Maria & Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen" 

Another lovely bass and Tania duet album, this time with the extraordinary NHOP. Two masters at play. . . and it does seem playful.

51kC3htLgtL.jpg

8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Looks like an excellent Mingus Dynasty edition .... unfortunately never saw this one ....

I only ever got to see the Mingus Big Band and oh what a powerful experience that was!

Edited by jazzbo

61a4n+2vhRL._SS600_.jpg

This is one of the very best Blue Note covers, IMO.  So many things to love about it.

In fact -- aside from the unremarkable Andrew!!! -- the design of Hill's BN album covers is consistently inspired. 

Just like Hill's music.

Edited by HutchFan

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

61a4n+2vhRL._SS600_.jpg

This is one of the very best Blue Note covers, IMO.  So many things to love about it.

In fact -- aside from the unremarkable Andrew!!! -- the design of Hill's BN album covers is consistently inspired. 

Just like Hill's music.

It is one of the best Blue Note releases too .... at least to me ;) ....