So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

It is one of the best Blue Note releases too .... at least to me ;) ....

It's exceptional.  No doubt about that. ... OTOH, if I were forced to pick just one of Hill's BNs, I'd probably go with Judgment.  

But you can hardly go wrong.  Just throw a dart at the wall.  His entire discography is an "embarrassment of riches." 

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

It's exceptional.  No doubt about that. ... OTOH, if I were forced to pick just one of Hill's BNs, I'd probably go with Judgment.  

But you can hardly go wrong.  Just throw a dart at the wall.  His entire discography is an "embarrassment of riches." 

You`right, it`s nearly impossible to go for the best Andrew Hill outing on Blue Note .... but if hard-pressed I would go with "Black Fire" followed by "Dance With Death" .....

Inspired by a post on another forum, and remembering when I met Ravi Shankar, I ordered a used copy of this cd and am listening to it now. 

If authentic, my cd itself appears to be autographed by Ravi and Anoushka!

Mi04MzQxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Interesting music. Nicely recorded.

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

61a4n+2vhRL._SS600_.jpg

This is one of the very best Blue Note covers, IMO.  So many things to love about it.

In fact -- aside from the unremarkable Andrew!!! -- the design of Hill's BN album covers is consistently inspired. 

Just like Hill's music.

I love it too, but the most interesting Andrew Hill I ever heard was on Bobby Hutchersons album I don´t remember the title, maybe "Dialoque".... ? 
I would have liked to hear one thing that was on one Sam Rivers double LP from that paperbag-cover albums , it was Sam Rivers´ album and had the session by Rivers , which I later bought as something called "Extensions" or "Dimensions" without piano, with Julian Priester on it, very very fine, but what really impressed me then was the second LP where Andrew Hill was the leader. I had borrowed that double album from a friend and taped it on cassette, but I don´t have those cassettes anymore, which is natural. 
But I don´t know what Album it was, it must have been from about the same time, 60´s, and I think it had Bud Powell´s former drummer J.C. Moses on drums, a very fine drummer.