Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sheila Jordan "The Crossing" Blackhawk Records cd

I decided to pick up a few Sheila Jordan discs I didn't have. This is a nice one.

Bass – Harvie Swartz
Drums – Ben Riley
Flugelhorn – Tom Harrell
Piano – Kenny Barron
Producer – Herb Wong
Vocals – Sheila Jordan

Recorded at Gramavision Studio, New York City on October 1-2, 1984

MS02MDg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Wayne Shorter, Teri Lyne Carrington, Leo Genovese, Esperanza Spalding, Live at the Detroit Jazz Festival (Candid)Live At The Detroit Jazz Festival

Yes he does.

Great to hear. Looking forward to it anyway. I’ve got pretty old parents (relatively) and always do these gigs with them. Will have a nice diner before. Always greatful I am still able to do these kind of things with them. 

16 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Fantastic. I have them as individual albums, the first I got was the Mating Call, but it had another cover, one of Tadd on piano in the studio, with a red cover and the title "Tadd Dameron with John Coltrane". The album with Fats is fantastic, that´s the great band from Royal Roost 1948, wonderful. Fontainebleau is wonderful but maybe not as strong as "Mating Call". There was another session for Prestige in 1953 but it filled only a half album, the fanstasI agreetic stuff with Clifford Brown, the so called "Atlantic City Band". 
The last album "Magic Touch" disappointed me. Some remakes of old tunes, but the new compositions are to "smooth", I like the more tricky things like "Hot House", "Good Bait", "Our Delight" and so on. And the disappointment also was that Dameron himself was no longer playing himself. Bill Evans is not really an adequate replacement. Tadd was during the end of his life and to ill to play a piano. It reminds me of Mingus´"Me myself and I" where he couldn´t longer play the bass himself, and the two replacement basses can´t fit into the role Mingus himself had on bass. That´s what I think about the Magic Touch album, same impression....

I agree with you, though there are nonetheless some nice moments on "Magic Touch." I think Tadd was trying to make some money with that one. I have to say Avid does a better job with these multiple album reissues than many other labels do.

Meanwhile, some nice sound on this Japanese reissue:

watrous.jpg

5 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I agree with you, though there are nonetheless some nice moments on "Magic Touch." I think Tadd was trying to make some money with that one. I have to say Avid does a better job with these multiple album reissues than many other labels do.

Meanwhile, some nice sound on this Japanese reissue:

watrous.jpg

I hadn´t known about those multiple album reissues until I got two of them from my wife for x-mas. And good luck, it was nothing I would have already had as individual cd: it was a 2 CD Dizzy set with "Bahia" and "Dizzy´s Party" from the mid 70´s Pablo, and the other was that Mingus "Newport Rebels + the two Candid albums from the early 60´s . 

About your impressions on Magic Touch: Yes, it´s possible that he hoped to make some money with it. The last few years must have been terrible for Tadd: Bad health, a bad habit, no gigs and no money. I read the bio about Tadd (in fact, there are two of them, but one is more complex) and the last chapter is really depressing.