Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's not the album Charlie Parker with Strings, but it does have some strings. 

It's a big band record with Parker as more than featured soloist. Very Clef / Verve in style.

Its hard to follow the Parker recordings because they are distributed and redistributed in various order and  on LP's always with different LP titles.

Have this one  (+ the vol. 2 & 3)  with  some big band tracks

44373876ys.jpg

44374060ll.jpg

Discogs lists these tracks for your album but no detailed data for the band. Have to check Lords for more Info.

A1   Temptation
A2   Autumn In New York
A3   Lover
A4   Stella By Starlight
A5   Dancing In The Dark
B1   Night And Day
B2   I Can't Get Started
B3   What Is This Thing Called Love
B4   Almost Like Being In Love

charlie parker big band
[P814-15] Charlie Parker
Charlie Parker Big Band:
Jimmy Maxwell, Carl Poole, Al Porcino, Bernie Privin (tp) Bill Harris, Lou McGarity, Bart Varsalona (tb) Charlie Parker, Harry Terrill, Murray Williams (as) Flip Phillips, Hank Ross (ts) Danny Bank (bar) Oscar Peterson (p) Freddie Green (g) Ray Brown (b) Don Lamond (d) Joe Lippman (arr,cond)
New York, March 25, 1952

Edited by jazzcorner
data added

On 17.9.2022 at 8:35 AM, Rabshakeh said:

It's not the album Charlie Parker with Strings, but it does have some strings. 

It's a big band record with Parker as more than featured soloist. Very Clef / Verve in style.

I have it under the title "Night and Day" as Volume 1 of 8 LPs. It has somehow a bit kitsch orchestras, it sounds too bombastic and quite away from good Bird-fitting bands like the Eckstine band or Dizzy´s Orchestra would have been. It sounds like those film scores for typical early fifties films like "Wenn der weiße Flieder wieder blüht" with little Romy Schneider. Well but it´s Bird. Period. 

Those Verve 8 LP collection is not chronological, the first is that "Big Band" from the early 50´s , the second is Bird with Strings (Midnight at Carnegie Hall), then I think Vol. 5 "Plays Cole Porter" is his last album from late 1954, while the following "Fiesta" is from the early fifties and Vol. 7 "Perennial is from late forties to early fifties...). 
I like most "Swedish Schnapps" since it is not so much "Norman Granz - like", it´s vintage bop quintet and basta. 

11 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The_Art_of_Jazz_-_Live_in_Leverkusen.jpg

Oh that is the famous 70´s birthday gathering with former Messengers sittin in, like Hubbard, McLean, etc. There was a long review of it in german Jazz Podium and it was mentioned that during the end Blakey even played piano and sung "For All we Know" (we may never meet again)  but this is not on the CD. I think Blakey knew it was near the end.....he even is replaced or supported by Roy Haynes on some pieces.