So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

George Coleman - Big George (Affinity). Coleman's octet: Danny Moore, tp; Coleman & Junior Cook, ts; Frank Strozier, as; Mario Rivera, bs; Harold Mabern, p, Lisle Atkinson, b; Idris Muhammed, d. Azzedin Niles Weston plays percussion on one tune ("Joggin'"). Quite a few covers for this material.

Primary Primary Primary Primary Primary

I have this session as part of a two-fer CD combining Junior Cook's "Pressure Cooker" & "Big George" that is titled "Stablemates".

Primary

So 6 covers. :)

Why did some of these covers come out so big?? They didn't look like that when I typed this up.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Just In Time - The Final Recording

:tup

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

108113.jpg

58 minutes ago, bresna said:

George Coleman - Big George (Affinity). Coleman's octet: Danny Moore, tp; Coleman & Junior Cook, ts; Frank Strozier, as; Mario Rivera, bs; Harold Mabern, p, Lisle Atkinson, b; Idris Muhammed, d. Azzedin Niles Weston plays percussion on one tune ("Joggin'"). Quite a few covers for this material.

Primary Primary Primary Primary Primary

I have this session as part of a two-fer CD combining Junior Cook's "Pressure Cooker" & "Big George" that is titled "Stablemates".

Primary

So 6 covers. :)

Why did some of these covers come out so big?? They didn't look like that when I typed this up.

6 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Dizzy is slightly off mike on this one, but still very fine.

dizzy.jpg

Yeah, not all of the "Onkel Poe´s Carnegie Hall" dates are perfectly recorded. The worst is the tinny sound of Tete Montoliu´s piano on "Griffin/Davis" from 1975. 

But it´s such a wealth of music on them. I have a lot of them, That Diz, the Griffin/Davis, The Junior Cook-Louis Hays feat. Woody Shaw, the Woody Shaw 1982 and the Elvin Jones. 

I like that Dizzy Gillespie Quartet and heard that unit quite often, with Rodney Jones on guitar, Mickey Roker on drums and the legendary Benjamin Franklin Brown on bass. Later they wore replaced by Ed Cherry on guitar and Mike Howell on bass. I think I heard this quartet formations from 1978-1983. In 1978 they played more backbeat-based tunes like "Dizzy´s Party" and so on, but from 1980 on there was more old stuff like "Manteca" and so on in the repertory. And that new form of Night in Tunisia with 6/8 beat in the A section....

14 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Dizzy is slightly off mike on this one, but still very fine.

dizzy.jpg

Well, playing a trumpet with the bell bent upwards like this when the mic is in front of you will cause that. I always thought Dizzy's continued use of this trumpet was pretty stupid. I get that it was his thing, but as you've noted, it made it difficult to mic. I'm glad that fad died.

Freddie Hubbard "Music is Here" (Live At Studio 104 Maison De La Radio (ORTF) Paris 1973) cd

4113708-2852606.jpg?ae=2442978151

Acoustic Bass – Kent Brinkley
Drums – Michael Carvin
Electric Piano  – George Cables
Tenor Saxophone, Flute – Junior Cook
Trumpet, Flugelhorn (All Titles By) – Freddie Hubbard