• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has been some time since I´ve listened to it the last time. A classic, but easier to listen than other free jazz,because it still has a "swing rhythm". Haden walks the actual in the actual timing, and Scott La Faro in double time. And there are some typical Ornette Coleman typed riffs in it. Other, more advanced free jazz records make everything to avoid the even slightest touch of swing. Ornette from 1969 (Crisis) was more advanced and would´t let Haden just play swing type walking bass. Then, avoiding swing was the devise.

I only noticed on that record, that Eric Dolphy, one of my favourites, doesn´t get much place to be heard. I would have liked to hear more of Dolphy with Ornette on this one.....

Unbenannt.png

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

In my opinion, Bill Evans  sounds looser and more relaxed here  as he does on some of the other recordings he is on when not leading his own trio.

51moX3tD8CL._AC_UL436_.jpg

I agree, but this also is very much Period One Evans  - a la his own "New Jazz Conceptions," and his striking work on the George Russell "Jazz Workshop" album and Hal McKusick's "Cross-Section Saxes."