• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

51Jz%2B-hxV1L._SY355_.jpg

Continuing with my romp through the 5000 BN series from the last days this came up today. I'm going through what I have of this material on CD. Which is something but not all. This has Blakey and Chano Pozo on one session, and they play havoc.

Those Moody sides are brilliant..

james-moody-the-beginning-and-end-of-bop

15 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Since a few days "Redd´s Blues" was posted, where I must admit and wrote, that it´s not quite a favourite of mine (mostly due to the drummer ), this one is top. Here the superb front line McLean Brooks get´s great support from the great Louis Hayes, and the compositions are beautiful. It´s just mention "The Thespian" which is sheer beauty and let´s me think about green hills and horses (actually Freddie Redd once stated he´d wish to have a farm with horses), and the wonderful "Just a Ballad for my Baby" and "Swift" ultra fast, but the theme almost sounding like a broadway dance show, and not to forget Freddy Redd´s piano style, very individual, really .

index.jpg

Never can get enough of Tina Brooks ....

23 hours ago, JohnS said:

R-6313036-1416223608-1002.jpeg.jpg

I bought this in Amsterdam around 25 years ago.  I've never seen another copy.

A group assembled by Austrian "jazz impressario" Paul Zauner and the Cd released in the late 80's on the german Jazzline label .... those were the days ....

46 minutes ago, soulpope said:

A group assembled by Austrian "jazz impressario" Paul Zauner and the Cd released in the late 80's on the german Jazzline label .... those were the days ....

I remember Paul Zauner very well, since it seems that in the late 80´s he was settled in Vienna and we jammed together on the one or other occasion......., and it is true he is a genial jazz impressario and could get the best US avantgarde musicians.....

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Charles Mingus Quintet + Max Roach (Debut, 1955)

EC4F1E2C-C737-46B3-BD0F-14842B7E04FA.jpeg

Yes, I think it was my third Mingus album, after the 3 LP set "The Great Concert" and "Blues and Roots". But when I ordered it (during those days you were lucky if the albums from the Jazz Cataloge were not OOP) I had expected a more advanced thing, I mean the Mingus Quintet PLUS Max Roach, that means TWO DRUMMERS together, like let´s say Billy Higgins and Ed Blackwell on Ornette´s "Free Jazz", and was quite astonished when I listend to it with very conventional standards "Foggy Day", "April" "Lady Bird" with only a slight touch of what might the Mingus of the next 10 or 20 years. The only track of completly free jazz (even more advanced than Mingus with Dolphy) is "Drums" which is super free jazz, where you definitly cannot hum a melody or tap your feet..... 

But usually I listen to it together with it´s twin album "Chazz", sometimes also called "At Bohemia" which also features one Roach title "Percussion Discussion".