• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No strings on this one. Just a combo with organ (Brown), tenor, and guitar. Ballads and Blues, done to perfection as only Charles Bown could do them.

I'm sure the AMG review has reservation about this being a "lounge" record or something of that ilk.

Well, yeah, it is. It's a Charles Brown lounge record, because that's what Charles Brown was doing then, playing black lounges, ballads and blues in black lounges for black lounge-goers.

Fuck AMG. This is a beautiful record.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No strings on this one. Just a combo with organ (Brown), tenor, and guitar. Ballads and Blues, done to perfection as only Charles Bown could do them.

I'm sure the AMG review has reservation about this being a "lounge" record or something of that ilk.

Well, yeah, it is. It's a Charles Brown lounge record, because that's what Charles Brown was doing then, playing black lounges, ballads and blues in black lounges for black lounge-goers.

I think the issue is a review of an expanded reissue of Mainstream sessions, at least half of the CD looks to be strings and personally I'd probably feel the same way. Bill Dahl is kind of the Yanow of the blues for AMG, at least for me. He's pretty close to my tastes.

I'd be curious though about the original session with organ/tenor/guitar.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

LOL  

So... exactly how do you feel about it, Jim. ;) 

NP:

71H7Q4kdFIL._SX495_.jpg

On this CD, the ever-prolific Liebman teams up with Canadian saxophonist Samuel Blais, whose primary ax is the baritone.

Two-sax front-lines are almost always interesting -- and the soprano-baritone combo here works very well. I dig.  

I've got both of Brown's Mainstream dates. The one with strings is NOT this one. Those arrangements are by Don Sebesky, and aren't corny at all. It's not a bad record, for what it is. But that combo record is glorious. If anybody doesn't like it, it's not the record's fault! :g

It looks like the poster has disabled embedding for this video, but I am watching/listening to a great Gary Burton;"Piazzolla Reunion" concert on YouTube It was recorded at Teatro Gran Rex , Buenos Aires, Argentina, on May 26, 2009 and features:

* Gary Burton: vibes

* Fernando Suarez Paz: violin

* Hector Console: acoustic bass

* Marcelo Nisinman: bandoneon

* Pablo Ziegler: acoustic piano

* Ricardo Lew: guitar