JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

32,492 posts in this topic

artensemble_artensemb_109b.jpg

The Lester Bowie albums (and Tribute to Lester).

This is Jackie's first album as a leader. I remember finding a copy on the Ad Lib label at a small shop in Detroit when it was first released. Jackie's great emotional playing grabbed me right from the start. I most likely had heard him previously with Miles Davis on his Prestige or Blue Note sides.

I learned many years later that there were very few of the Mclean Ad Lib label records issued. Not sure I ever knew of anyone who had a copy besides me.

iu.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

This is Jackie's first album as a leader. I remember finding a copy on the Ad Lib label at a small shop in Detroit when it was first released. Jackie's great emotional playing grabbed me right from the start. I most likely had heard him previously with Miles Davis on his Prestige or Blue Note sides.

I learned many years later that there were very few of the Mclean Ad Lib label records issued. Not sure I ever knew of anyone who had a copy besides me.

iu.jpeg

Interestingly this has been reissued on cd at least twice officially from Japan, and at least once from the gray marketers in Europe, and there are probably many more cd copies out there than LP copies! An interesting session.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Can't compare this to "a really good pop record" and/or Cher. Don't listen to that kind of music. I just would call it a really good jazz record.

This is indeed a very good jazz record. Haven't played it in a few years but it had a heavy rotation when I first purchased it. Quintessential hard bop. 

0000116182.jpg

Glad I took my time on this one. also glad I got it really cheap.

51X%2BQRTPxbL._SY495_.jpg

A very nice archival release. ... No surprise, I guess, given the musicians involved. ;)

61iwRpeskVL._SY355_.jpg

People who enthuse over the "debut album" formula of some standards, some blues, and just a few originals, hey - here's your record, formula all the way.

The only problem is, it's the "formula" inclusions that bring the record down. Cutely arranged standards, etc, they sound like the belong op\n a Bennie Green record, except Priester is not Bennie Green. Bennie Green is Bennie Green, Bennie Green had all the Bennie Green covered, ok?

So what's left are a few originals (mostly  without Jimmy Heath, which works out just fine in this case) that are above-average in terms of interest, very nice pieces. But as soon as you get ready for the next one, UH-oh, here comes that "formula" again and jeezeys crapappers, Orrin Keepnews, this is why Riverside never gained the cachet that Blue Note did, because Albert Lion probably would have crafted a better presentation for Julian Priester's debut album, simple as that. At least in theory. Riverside was where Priester had his hookups, Griff, Max, Wilbur Ware. That's how it works. And that's why Jimmy Heath is on this record not adding anything except being there and playing well enough on the tunes he plays on. Records be business too, not just music.Julian Preister WAS going to be on Riverside for his debut album if he was going to be anywhere.

In spite of all that, the opportunity to hear the Jones Sam and Elvin commiserate on every cut is indeed a rare and true delight!

ABC14B95-42A2-4C14-9F77-E9B816A19CEA.jpeg

MI0001616837.jpg

Featuring some of Marion Brown's most beautiful playing on record (IMO).

MI0000114059.jpg

image.jpg?c=fx88mBtnVkd-y35DMq54sQ4Q1ghY

image.jpg?c=i7NLFJfJ506oNB5AuCP114Af7E_1

"Interesting but not essential," says the AMG review. Well, it's essential for me - a superb Ellington recording IMHO, and one of my favorites, for sure.  

29 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

"Interesting but not essential," says the AMG review. Well, it's essential for me - a superb Ellington recording IMHO, and one of my favorites, for sure.  

I'm with you, John!  :tup:tup:tup 

53 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

👍👍👍 and many more !!!

One of my very favorite jazz piano players for more than 55 years.

41iQWNLAC9L._AC_UL436_.jpg

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

That's the album that made me love Ellington's music!

Just spinning:

R-3068431-1314213378.jpeg.jpg

Earlier today .... :

2726c93a5e.jpg

Chris Minh Doky - Scenes from a Dream (Red Dot Music)

Unbenannt.png

More "Blue Notes" on a well deseved afterwork Monday evening ....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Earlier today .... :

2726c93a5e.jpg

Mati Klarwein !

6 hours ago, Joe said:

image.jpg?c=fx88mBtnVkd-y35DMq54sQ4Q1ghY

:tup

Doin%27_the_Thing.jpg

Sounds like a hit record to me!!!!!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Brad said:

I assume you mean Cleveland, Ohio. That's along way from Jersey. I assume you were there for some other reason. The thing about getting into NY from NJ is that, depending where you live, it takes forever to get into NY. If you drive, it's a zoo and the train is just a royal pain. 

I drove in the day before, but I went specifically for the Haynes show.  It was my 5th time driving to New York to see him.  :)

Now playing:

MI0000594337.jpg?opartner=allrvi.com

I picked this up for $2 last week, with the few tracks from the Ellington Mosaic being the only other Webb in my collection.  Man, this band swung hard!  

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Unbenannt.png

More "Blue Notes" on a well deseved afterwork Monday evening ....

My favorite Shorter I think, even though there are some really close seconds!!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Doin%27_the_Thing.jpg

Sounds like a hit record to me!!!!!

Good Junior Cook here. One of the sides where you can start to hear the Junior-Joe Henderson connection -- not as much as on "The Tokyo Blues" 14 months later, but it's there. 

Edited by Mark Stryker