JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

39,454 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The Clifford Brown Max Roach Quintet played at the Rouge Lounge in Detroit from June 5, 1956 through June 10,1956. Though I do not recall the specific date, I went to hear that group during that stay at the Rouge Lounge. I was shocked when I learned that Clifford Brown died in an automobile accident  on June 26, 1956. 

511o1094lOL._AC_UL436_.jpg

:tup

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

e2cf2d88e57c59af9289a4f6e8d6943422db83ad

Hank Mobley (!!) ....

:tup

Now listening to:

51P8JKdKLoL._SY355_.jpg

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

IIRC, the engagement that Clifford, Richie Powell et al. were driving to was at Chicago's Modern Jazz Room. I was all het up to go -- that required some planning because I was underage and an adult (probably my Dad) would have to accompany me -- but then came the news.

I was also very slightly underage, but had a fake ID that I used to get in to the Rouge Lounge. Also used the fake ID to get in to hear jazz at a few other clubs during that same general time period.

3 hours ago, BillF said:

51P8JKdKLoL._SY355_.jpg

:tup!!!!  No arguing with the title. 

Now:OscarinParis.jpg

yfxQQV8jPHQu8YDacFUfD6-650-80.jpg

Electric, not "electronic", this shit is STILL loud!!!!

It took me a track or two to remember what it was like hearing it for the first time, but yeah, I remembered. Happy memory!

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

yfxQQV8jPHQu8YDacFUfD6-650-80.jpg

Electric, not "electronic", this *** is STILL loud!!!!

It took me a track or two to remember what it was like hearing it for the first time, but yeah, I remembered. Happy memory!

I still remember hearing "Meeting of the Spirits" for the first time during my freshman year of college, stunning.  Saw them at the Spectrum in Philly in 1973, where they blew Zappa's incredibly talented MOI group (Duke, Ponty, Ruth Underwood, etc.) off the stage.   Opening act IIRC was John Hammond Jr.  playing solo acoustic guitar.

This is some amazing stuff. 

6 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

51%2B1q6DTUXL._SY355_.jpg

A wonderful album, I think it was actually the first Clifford Brown/Max Roach I ever heard, decades ago. Great compositions by Richie Powell !

20 minutes ago, kinuta said:

Image result for bud powell time waits

👍👍👍!!!

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

👍👍👍!!!

"five stars" especially for the participation of Sam Jones and my favourite drummer Philly Joe Jones. This is one of the greatest Bud Powell albums after 1953. All compositions by him, and they are great compositions. John´s Abbey became a signature tune during Bud´s years in Paris and after his comeback to the states. He never failed when he played it. And he kept "Monopoly" in his song book.

And "Buster Rides Again" is a fantastic latin tune with the great Philly J.J. doing an extended drum solo.

CS456261-01A-BIG.jpg

R-712245-1439369270-3666.jpeg.jpg

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

51Gfqgg3BZL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 2

Hooray for James P. Johnson!!! :tup:tup:tup 

Edited by HutchFan

R-3616396-1414442277-5172-jpeg.jpg

New arrival. I didn't realise before Final Solution on this Japanese CD was a studio recording and not the live track extra from the European CD and the Japanese Biscuits.

Edited by erwbol