• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Junior Mance is one of my favorite piano accompanists.  He's in failing health but seems happy and has a good support network.   I'm not familiar with this recording, will check it out, thanks JS.

after this one:

Compliments of the Mysterious Phantom

I came to Tania Maria late, experiencing her via a riveting segment of a performance DVD of her very talented nephew, Ed Motta.

She's a wonderful talent full of a quirky energy and a very well-crafted musical vision. This one with Pedersen is one of my favorites, there's some drama and funk here that is contagious. And one of those rare cds that sounds better as you turn it up.

Tania Maria & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen "Live in Copenhagen"
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The LP facsimile 24 bit Blue Note RVG reissues from Japan are sounding really nice on my system lately, especially as I can press a button and reverse phase and several sound better that way. I'm starting to look for these used at good prices. The cds didn't always sound that great to me, but things change as your system does.

Now playing Donald Byrd "The Cat Walk" Blue Note Japan.

DONALD-BYRD-The-Cat-Walk-JAPAN-Mini.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

25 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I came to Tania Maria late, experiencing her via a riveting segment of a performance DVD of her very talented nephew, Ed Motta.

She's a wonderful talent full of a quirky energy and a very well-crafted musical vision. This one with Pedersen is one of my favorites, there's some drama and funk here that is contagious. And one of those rare cds that sounds better as you turn it up.

Tania Maria & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen "Live in Copenhagen"
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Excellent ....

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-5073622-1406742548-4452.jpeg.jpg

Taut!

I'm not familiar with that one. I suppose I should check it out.

I am familiar with many of Kral's recordings from the 70s.  The two that she made for Choice -- Gentle Rain and Where Is Love? -- are both ... uh, choice, in this listener's opinion.  (Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;) )

14 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

If you like Yusef Lateef on tenor sax, you need this recording. Lateef gets space here to blow, and he is outstanding. Sam Jones on bass, and leader Louis Hayes along with fellow Detroit piano great, Barry Harris also do a fine job.

51aXFOjMd7L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Thanks for the reminder on this one--haven't listened to it in a long time, so just pulled it out for another spin.

18 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

If you like Yusef Lateef on tenor sax, you need this recording. Lateef gets space here to blow, and he is outstanding. Sam Jones on bass, and leader Louis Hayes along with fellow Detroit piano great, Barry Harris also do a fine job.

51aXFOjMd7L._AC_UL436_.jpg

and that's the one you want, too. there's another version (Collectibles?) that doesn't have the extra tracks. Beware!