JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

39,526 posts in this topic

After a recent thread on the Board, listening to this one:

 

Esquire.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-7699243-1446987683-5939.jpeg.jpg

Anthony Cox - Dark Metals (Antilles/Minor Music, 1991)
with Dewey Redman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51YaMfVv4zL._SS500_.jpg

Cliff Smalls - Caravan: With the Black and Blue offer from jazzmusicdepot, I am trying to decide between this date and the Oliver Jackson date with the same group to join the Sammy Benskin I plan on ordering.   

Edited by Justin V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1000004012136231.jpg

I can't listen to this compilation more than 20 minutes. Not my thing.

Edited by Referentzhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

We Get Requests

I wouldn´t say I´m a big Oscar Peterson fan, but this album has a special meaning to me. A friend of mine at high school had it when I was just starting to listen to jazz. See, Oscar Peterson was something that people dug who otherwise didn´t listen to jazz .

But later, just a few years ago I bought the CD just for historical reasons, since I liked it so much when I was still a boy.

 

And I want to say, I like THIS, and "Nighttrain" best. I don´t usually listen much to Peterson, but what I like on those albums is that Mr. Peterson doesn´t "overdo" the stuff. He had a helluva technique, but this here is really a beauty, nice spare piano, things that I can dig after a day of hard work when I maybe dont want to "figure out" heavier stuff like Mingus or Trane or whatever......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I wouldn´t say I´m a big Oscar Peterson fan, but this album has a special meaning to me. A friend of mine at high school had it when I was just starting to listen to jazz. See, Oscar Peterson was something that people dug who otherwise didn´t listen to jazz .

But later, just a few years ago I bought the CD just for historical reasons, since I liked it so much when I was still a boy.

 

And I want to say, I like THIS, and "Nighttrain" best. I don´t usually listen much to Peterson, but what I like on those albums is that Mr. Peterson doesn´t "overdo" the stuff. He had a helluva technique, but this here is really a beauty, nice spare piano, things that I can dig after a day of hard work when I maybe dont want to "figure out" heavier stuff like Mingus or Trane or whatever......

Have you listened to Exclusively for My Friends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2978829-1338915605-9884.jpeg.jpg

Cannonball Adderley - Them Dirty Blues: This has become my go-to Cannonball album and is becoming an all-time favorite.  It is a trip going from the more familiar Timmons/Jones/Hayes team to  the tracks with Barry Harris.  In terms of performance, choice of material and sound quality, the album is flawless, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51L4GNoTOUL.jpg

Bennie Wallace - Big Jim's Tango (Enja)

 

16 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Cannonball Adderley - Them Dirty Blues: This has become my go-to Cannonball album and is becoming an all-time favorite.  It is a trip going from the more familiar Timmons/Jones/Hayes team to  the tracks with Barry Harris.  In terms of performance, choice of material and sound quality, the album is flawless, IMO.

That's one of my favorites by Cannonball too. :tup

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" Mobile Fidelity Lab
UDSACD2208-2T.jpg

I listened to this SACD again and I have to say. . . I wouldn't change a thing about the sound. This listen made me clearly realize how amazing the original engineering was for this record--the engineering tells the story of the arrangements and soloists and the ebullient leader and his direction. The tonal balance, the resolution that resolves the direct and ambient sound, the dynamics. . . this is a great sounding disc.

And I have listened to two more of the 80th Anniversary CDs from Blue Note Japan, Lou Donaldson's "Lou Takes Off" and Donald Byrd's "Blackjack." Both sounded very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" Mobile Fidelity Lab
UDSACD2208-2T.jpg

I listened to this SACD again and I have to say. . . I wouldn't change a thing about the sound. This listen made me clearly realize how amazing the original engineering was for this record--the engineering tells the story of the arrangements and soloists and the ebullient leader and his direction. The tonal balance, the resolution that resolves the direct and ambient sound, the dynamics. . . this is a great sounding disc.

And I have listened to two more of the 80th Anniversary CDs from Blue Note Japan, Lou Donaldson's "Lou Takes Off" and Donald Byrd's "Blackjack." Both sounded very good.

Teo Macero mix right? I ordered a copy at a local store last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erwbol said:

Teo Macero mix right? I ordered a copy at a local store last week.

Yes, the original release, with the six edited tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpg?c=fz32pYMLpTZcEOAulLTvcD6KsMtt

I found this in a store for 8 or 10 bucks within a year before Bluiett passed.  I am finally making my way through a full listen.  Talk about tone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duke on the road in Europe in the 1960s:

51gmP7Y2ieL.jpg

and

617n1B4r1aL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.