JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

39,460 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

An Amazon review of this package says "Very poor reproduction. Sound distorted off key- waste of money- don't buy."  What do you say?

12 hours ago, gmonahan said:

The single review of this on Amazon says there's lots of distortion, and the sound sucks. Curious as to whether you agree??

gregmo

This is not the best sound we have heard but to my ears, the sound in reasonable. The music wins and I cant say that the reproduction is poor.

Edited by B. Goren.

s-l400.jpg

Disc 9: Stitt with Harold Mabern, Ben Tucker and Roy Haynes.  That is how to start a Monday.

Edited by Justin V

Still in heavy rotation:

MI0001654672.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Among other things, I'm really enjoying Dewey Redman's interplay with Billy Higgins on this one. 

For my money, this is Jarrett's best solo-piano record:

61LAS-8sCzL._SX500_.jpg

8 hours ago, BillF said:

On the same tour local jazz presenter Graham Brook is pitting him against Gilad Atzmon. That should be some gig, providing of course that that those out to stop Gilad's appearances don't get there first!

Gilad’s ‘Orient House Ensemble’ is on the bill on the Saturday night. Hope to catch them.

MI0000098108.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by sidewinder

71mdTZ1ZO6L._SS500_.jpg

Enrico Pieranunzi Trio & Ada Montellanico with Lee Konitz & Enrico Rava - Ma L'amore No (Soul Note, 1997)

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

51NIHtHr5OL._SY400_.jpg

:tup

10 hours ago, B. Goren. said:

This is not the best sound we have heard but to my ears, the sound in reasonable. The music wins and I cant say that the reproduction is poor.

Thanks for the response!

gregmo

I wish someone would reissue this:

Helen Merrill with Gary Peacock Trio - Sposin' (Victor Japan, 1971)
with Masahiko Satoh (p) and Motohiko Hino (d)

The Clayton Brothers and friends - The GatheringR-11997851-1549166554-4024.jpeg.jpg

Earlier this evening:

R-1605237-1387071811-6665.jpeg.jpg

John Surman/John Warren - Tales of the Algonquin (Vocalion/Deram)

Now listening to Joe Henderson's Milestone set, Disc 4:

R-8677453-1481639731-2232.jpeg.jpg

These cuts were originally released as In Pursuit of Blackness -- and three-fourths of Joe Henderson in Japan.

Bobby Naughton

413HmRd5Z1L._SY400_.jpg

Erwin Schmidt - Dorothy's Valentine: I bought this after Georghe posted about the death of Walther Großrubatscher, the drummer on the date.  Based on this excellent album, he deserved to be more widely known.  Fans here of piano trios should check it out.

1 minute ago, B. Goren. said:

003df849.jpg

Treasurous ....

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now listening to Joe Henderson's Milestone set, Disc 4:

R-8677453-1481639731-2232.jpeg.jpg

These cuts were originally released as In Pursuit of Blackness -- and three-fourths of Joe Henderson in Japan.

Milestone was a fantastic label ! They really did something for acoustic musicians when others didn´t record them. And all those albums they made, they sounded so modern, so hip and quick.

I think Joe Henderson did some of his best work for Milestone, he never sounded better. Even the more overproduced studio thing "Canyon Lady" doesn´t sound like cheap studio crap, it is a fine album and captures much of Henderson´s virtuosity.

All those Milestone Artists made some of their very best stuff during those years, Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, and of course Joe Henderson.

I think they also were scheduled for festivals as part of the "Milestone Family", because how otherwise I could explain that in 1979 in Velden we had so many "Milestone Artists" (Rollins, Ron Carter, Joe Henderson, they all were scheduled)........

12 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Milestone was a fantastic label ! They really did something for acoustic musicians when others didn´t record them. And all those albums they made, they sounded so modern, so hip and quick.

I think Joe Henderson did some of his best work for Milestone, he never sounded better. Even the more overproduced studio thing "Canyon Lady" doesn´t sound like cheap studio crap, it is a fine album and captures much of Henderson´s virtuosity.

Yeah, I agree that Henderson made some superb records for Milestone. Sonny and McCoy too -- and many others besides. :tup

NP:

51PXNA4p8XL._SX495_.jpg

Abdullah Ibrahim - Zimbabwe (Enja)

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

81GPwJAaZ-L._SS500_.jpg

they are wonderful ! When I was younger I had difficulties to tell from the record who of them is soloing, but later I learned to figure out how Zoot Sims phrases and how Al Cohn. It´s fascinating how long there collaboration went on. First I got aware of them on "Miles and Horns", than on that "Tenor Conclave". Too bad I never caught Zoot Sims "live" but I saw Al Cohn once with Woody Herman in a rare "All Star Small Group", a wonderful experience.....