JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

32,006 posts in this topic

Next in line .... :

2340fe645eb72a20abd732abdd8aaef09e3fa8b9

R-7574714-1444346627-9583.jpeg.jpg

Lovely, totally improvised music, never leaving tonal centers, but cliché-free. recommended for all McNeill fans.

johnson.jpg

C4A2AF40-A549-4ECB-8DA6-D3CC232E4398.jpeg

500x500.jpg

Lots of talented musicians were on hand for this concert, but for me, the show was stolen by Miss Mildred Bailey and her "Downhearted Blues", yes, yes.

Posted (edited)

41sbe6FthTL._AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65_

Bill Evans - Conversations with Myself: I've probably only listened to this 3 or 4 times before this in 10+ years.  I think that was my loss, as it is beautiful.  

Edited by Justin V

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Earlier today .... :

272ed1bfc87b881ef4fbf706ea3d85ef3953a45a

The 4 Prestiges "Cookin´, Relaxin´, Workin´ and Steamin´ always have been favourites of mine, they would be records for the "Island". Somehow I find the first Prestige record of the 1.st Quintet, simply called "Miles" not so exiting like those four records.

"Steamin´" was one of the very first "jazz records" I had, I think the other records were available only on expensive japanese LP pressings.

38 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

The 4 Prestiges "Cookin´, Relaxin´, Workin´ and Steamin´ always have been favourites of mine, they would be records for the "Island". Somehow I find the first Prestige record of the 1.st Quintet, simply called "Miles" not so exiting like those four records.

"Steamin´" was one of the very first "jazz records" I had, I think the other records were available only on expensive japanese LP pressings.

Agreement on the "island" status ....  bought these as Victor Japan reissues in the later 70's ....

Posted (edited)

But Gheorghe and Soulpope ... Surely the GERMAN Bellaphon license-pressed Prestige reissues must have been available in Austria too at that time. "Steamin'" was on Bellaphon BJS 4054 throughout the second half of the 70s. And during the same period "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" were available on the Bellaphon BLST 6511 twofer (= Prestige 24001).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

The 4 Prestiges "Cookin´, Relaxin´, Workin´ and Steamin´ always have been favourites of mine, they would be records for the "Island". 

Agreed.

Now playing:

51G5BV%2BjA9L._SY355_.jpg

8 hours ago, Brad said:

C4A2AF40-A549-4ECB-8DA6-D3CC232E4398.jpeg

👍👍👍!!!

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But Gheorghe and Soulpope ... Surely the GERMAN Bellaphon license-pressed Prestige reissues must have been available in Austria too at that time. "Steamin'" was on Bellaphon BJS 4054 throughout the second half of the 70s. And during the same period "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" were available on the Bellaphon BLST 6511 twofer (= Prestige 24001).

There was also the ‘Complete Prestige Recordings’ 12LP set around that time - maybe very early 1980s. That was how I picked them up - from Mole as a sleeveless set at their annual sale, £1.50 per LP I think.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

True .... but my trusted dealer of "Red Octopus Records" fame had the japanese beauties available .... I didn't hesitate for a minute ....

Edited by soulpope

12 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

51qShZcUqML.jpg

Again an "Island record". One of the best, if I could keep only one Wayne Shorter BN I´d keep this one.

@Big Beat Steve.: Yes it was Bellaphone Import. The "Steaming" was as a single LP with another cover photo than the original Steamin, and others were twofers (right, Prestige 24000 series. 

I had one of it with a cover photo of Miles in the 70´s at the boxing gym, which has nothing to do with the content, since the content was most of the pre 55 Miles, which I later purchased as "Dig", "Miles and Horns" "Blue Haze" "Walkin" "Bag´s Groove" and "Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants...... (I hope I didn´t forgether any). 

One record that always was particular interesting for me was "Musings of Miles" since it points out torward the first classic quintet, with Garland and Philly J.J. on it....

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Agreed.

Now playing:

51G5BV%2BjA9L._SY355_.jpg

Also a record for the Island.....

Just to change direction for a moment ...

R-3782551-1344203722-6738.jpeg.jpg