JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

40,901 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Justin V said:

0108025.jpg

Closing the night with Mr. Natural, with Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, Elvin Jones and Ray Barretto.  This set is propelling itself to among my favorite Mosaics already.  Every single session has an inspired lineup.  

I've been listening to every session twice before moving on, so I am listening to this one again.  :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MI0001674059.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Brings back good memories of being sat directly under JJs ‘bone at another NYC club whilst he was playing much of this material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1716210-1238859004.jpeg.jpg

Mulatu Astatke / The Heliocentrics ‎– Inspiration Information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

81vglqkDHuL._SS500_.jpgback.jpg

Those four Stanley Turrentine tracks -- the surprising thing is they do not all originate from some Bacharach tribute album he made.  No, they come from four totally different albums!  Clearly and perhaps surprisingly, Mr. T. had an affinity for the musical world of Mr. B.  (McCoy Tyner is on 3 of the 4 Turrentine tracks, so perhaps even way back then the seeds were being sown which would eventually result in his own Bacharach songbook album.)  This is a groovy compilation,  While nothing here would be considered among any of the given performers' "classic" material, these are generally fun performances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

81vglqkDHuL._SS500_.jpgback.jpg

Those four Stanley Turrentine tracks -- the surprising thing is they do not all originate from some Bacharach tribute album he made.  No, they come from four totally different albums!  Clearly and perhaps surprisingly, Mr. T. had an affinity for the musical world of Mr. B.  (McCoy Tyner is on 3 of the 4 Turrentine tracks, so perhaps even way back then the seeds were being sown which would eventually result in his own Bacharach songbook album.)  This is a groovy compilation,  While nothing here would be considered among any of the given performers' "classic" material, these are generally fun performances.

 

Stanley lso did  nice version of Look of Love.

 

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51Bk1-h5FyL._SY400_.jpg

Bill Evans/Toots Thielemans - Affinity: I am finally taking advantage of my Prime membership to do some streaming.  I had assumed that this was a duo recording, so I was surprised to hear the full Evans trio plus saxophone.  At any rate, the Evans/Thielemans pairing works as well as one would expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Justin V said:

51Bk1-h5FyL._SY400_.jpg

Bill Evans/Toots Thielemans - Affinity: I am finally taking advantage of my Prime membership to do some streaming.  I had assumed that this was a duo recording, so I was surprised to hear the full Evans trio plus saxophone.  At any rate, the Evans/Thielemans pairing works as well as one would expect.

As someone who has mixed feelings about latter-day Evans, I think he plays very well here, as does Toots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41W0ogDirIL.jpg

Stan Getz - My Old Flame (Concord)

Disc 1 - originally released as The Dolphin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

As someone who has mixed feelings about latter-day Evans, I think he plays very well here, as does Toots.

Indeed.  I am now listening to it for the second time.  :)  I think I'll end up grabbing a physical copy.  It is a shame that they didn't do a follow-up album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.