Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

That's on my to-get list. Garrick is wonderful.

All of those Dutton/Vocalion Garricks are great - not to be missed whilst they are still in print (although I suspect some of them are already OOP).

My LP copy of ‘Marigolds’ is signed by Michael Garrick at Dartington Hall, Devon, sometime in the early 1970s.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Gosh yes. VERY scary. What is that dude thinking?!?!?

I've busted my ass many times on slick rocks. But never while holding a baby! 

That little baby has grown up to be a wonderfully talented young actress -- it's PJ's daughter.  (Believe me, PJ undertook a LOT more dangerous activities earlier in his life...)

R-1920116-1381002278-9662.jpeg.jpg

10 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

R-6328477-1422616553-9486.jpeg.jpg

All the recent Tubby Hayes listening going on here influenced me to seek out my meager collection of his recordings, so I listened to --

81gtaWQY7XL._SX355_.jpg

Disc 4 of 4, which includes the Return Visit album along with the All Night Long soundtrack album.

Edited by duaneiac

R-9370402-1479399953-9529.jpeg.jpg

Having recently discovered Katz's collaborations with Helen Merrill, I just stumbled across this Beehive LP with him in the sole-leader role. With Frank Wess, Jimmy Knepper and that rhythm section?  Um, yes please!

One note: Is it just me or does Katz look menacing on the cover, almost like he's channeling his inner Grand Moff Tarkin?

44 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-9370402-1479399953-9529.jpeg.jpg

Having recently discovered Katz's collaborations with Helen Merrill, I just stumbled across this Beehive LP with him in the sole-leader role. With Frank Wess, Jimmy Knepper and that rhythm section?  Um, yes please!

One note: Is it just me or does Katz look menacing on the cover, almost like he's channeling his inner Grand Moff Tarkin?

You would love the Bee Hive Mosaic! 

22 minutes ago, Justin V said:

You would love the Bee Hive Mosaic! 

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Plus, it'd be really nice to have it all in digital format for on-the-go listening.

OTOH, I already had quite a few Bee Hive LPs. And, since many people unloaded their vinyl after the Mosaic set came out, the LPs that I didn't own have been easier to find and even cheaper than before. (For example, I only paid $2.50 for In High Profile.)

In the end, that's why I passed on the Mosaic set. Given all the other stuff on my radar, the $$$-to-value ratio didn't quite work for me.

But part of me still pines for it... 😋

Good idea for a Musical journey. I must admit I don´t have the Babs Gonzales though I alway wanted to hear how sounded those legendary "Three Bips and a Bop" with Tadd Dameron.

About Sonny Rollins: My God, time flies: I saw him in Velden 1979, and now this is 40 years ago ! And in 1979 Sonny still was in his late 40´s but looked even younger. The band as I remember was Mark Soskin, Jerome Harris and Al Foster, a very very fine unit that lasted for quite some time.

48 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

First stage in my summer trip through the entire recorded output of one of my heroes, Sonny Rollins:

Second stage: J.J. Johnson Quintet (11 May, 1949) and J.J. Johnson's Boppers with Sonny and Kenny Dorham (26 May, 1949):

J.J. Johnson - 1946-1949

32 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Good idea for a Musical journey. I must admit I don´t have the Babs Gonzales though I alway wanted to hear how sounded those legendary "Three Bips and a Bop" with Tadd Dameron.

I am only listening to those tracks with Sonny, but you have either the Classics CD or the digital copy on Spotify. Enjoy the re-bop thing! :) 

33 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Second stage: J.J. Johnson Quintet (11 May, 1949) and J.J. Johnson's Boppers with Sonny and Kenny Dorham (26 May, 1949):

Now heading to Bud Powell's Modernists session from 9 August 1949. Tracks "Bouncing With Bud", "Wail", "Dance Of The Infidels" and "52nd St. Theme" from:

R-2132206-1328447084.jpeg.jpg

Earlier:

R-369377-1299945950.jpeg.jpg

So much humor and joyousness in this music. These are not things that people might normally associate with Braxton. But it's there!

10 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

First stage in my summer trip through the entire recorded output of one of my heroes, Sonny Rollins.

Great idea for a trip!  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan