JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

32,404 posts in this topic

image.jpg?c=gm3NCbP8ZPeHFgIpCJKd7SpQg_7i

A different album for Jones, with a rotating cast of vocalists.  I feel like I have taken Jones for granted a bit after seeing him live so many times.  He has never been less than excellent live and I am enjoying go back through his albums.  I plan on seeing a double bill with his quartet and Kenny Barron's trio next year.  With his chair position at Berklee, I hope he doesn't slow down recording and touring due to his responsibilities.

7 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Gotta be slow going its so much work! But I am doing the same thing for Percy France so I can't criticize the urge. :g

I gotta recognise Percy France is totally new to me! Any recs?

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

I gotta recognise Percy France is totally new to me! Any recs?

Totally new? Easiest to locate would be Jimmy Smith Home Cookin' (BN) (Freddie Roach Down To Earth (BN) is also very good but only issued on CD in Japan). Allen Lowe produced I Should Care a trio date from 1980 that's excellent - there's one inexpensive copy on discogs right now but maybe not so cheap after shipping to yurope. There's also a Sir Charles Thompson thing on Columbia and an Oliver Jackson led date on Black & Blue.  He was Bill Doggett's first tenor, more or less, and a great deal of his early work is on one of the Doggett Chronological Classics

I am only now lacking a 78 he did in 1949 and a track from a compilation that was issued as a party-favor CDR to guests at Mario Schneeburger's 80th birthday party. Flurin tried to help with the Swiss archives but its not available. Schneeburger refused to share. I hate him. 

Edited by Dan Gould

E5F94C7B-3971-428C-9799-3FB10ED61CA2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, BillF said:

Biting_the_Apple.jpg

👍👍👍!!!

Posted (edited)

Starting with Sonny Rollins recordings from 1956:

E6D9B4BC-9EC9-4CCF-810C-D73006840915.jpeg

D85E6E1C-797E-4104-A7B1-1BEA9716347D.jpeg

Plus one session led by Miles Davis included in the Collectors’ Items compilation.

I do not have any of the live recordings of the Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet from 1956 issued by Philology (Brownie’s Eyes).

But I have also added to my playlist these two live recordings released by RLR:

BC7506C0-EE5C-420A-AA79-D91383C4727D.jpeg

1AD604E4-4C91-4B96-AE94-6E59C4D78366.jpeg

Edited by EKE BBB

51YXGPSN5tL._SY400_.jpg

Bill Easley - Hearing Voices: Easley is an underrated master.  After buying his excellent First Call a few months ago, I purchased this one, Easley Said and Business Man's Bounce this week.

41HJPYD9FBL.jpg

Mark Turner, Jeff Ballard, Larry Grenadier - Fly (Savoy)