So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

The title of the album sounds much more like Sun Ra, but it´s pure Max Roach with Odean Pope, Cecil Bridgewater, Calvin Hill, and they Play some bop standards like "Straight No Chaser" "Good Bait" (in 3/4 time), Tricotism (bass feature), two ballads (If you could see me now, I remember Clifford), and 2 Max Roach Originals. 

Unbenannt.png

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Don't know about the book which I'm sure is very good, but the CD sure is excellent. :tup

I met Clark Terry at a gig six years ago and told him I'd been reading biographies of British jazz musicians. He said there'd be another coming out - of his Dad - and he'd be writing it. I promised to buy a copy.^_^

Yes, it's very good. Stan, a very introverted character, seems to have kept detailed diaries throughout much of his life. Very useful for a biographer!

Is it possible that this was the only Tina Brooks album that was issued during his lifetime? As much as I remember the others were issued after his death. I think, "Back to the Tracks" got a cataloge number but was not issued. 

All his recorded Music is very fine, also all his stuff as a sideman, above all I like very much the Kenny Burrel "Five Spot" where Brooks is especially fine.

Unbenannt.png

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I am liking Marcus Gilmore here.

Oh yeah. An he's an excellent drummer.  And it runs in the family -- since he's Roy Haynes' grandson.

NP:

31473GYQQGL.jpg

Frank Kimbrough, Joe Locke - Saturn's Child (OmniTone)
Almost inevitably (given the instrumentation), this is reminiscent of Chick & Gary Burton.  A little less ECM-y though.