Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Perfect example of how Black & Blue is a discographical nightmare. This was issued on the Definitive series as Deep Purple, which I have. Only one extra track, "Claude of Mine". But then there is a Japanese reissue this year, with Ghost of a Chance, Candy, Solitude and Nearness of You as additional tracks. No clue where those tracks came from ...

Anyway ... fine music!

My 1991 issue has those tracks, yet your 1995 one doesn't.  That makes no sense!  The 4 bonus tracks came from a previously unreleased session that was recorded 8 days after the original session, with Candy Johnson's tenor added to 3 of those 4 tracks.  

Now playing:

R-7468025-1442081142-3735.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Justin V

Nice live stuff of Griffin/Davis. But this one is not so well recorded. "Jaws" sounds much more subdued, and he does not play on "In Walked Bud" . The Sound quality is not the best. The piano (and it´s the great Tete Montoliu) is very underrecorded…….while Nils Henning´s bass is too loud.

I heard other CDs from that great "Uncle Poe´s " series, but on this the recording qualitiy really is not the best.....

Unbenannt.png

Prompted by the MAX ROACH talk elsewhere on the board:

61JetpdrjEL._SY500_.jpg

Pictures in a Frame (Soul Note, 1979)
with Cecil Bridgewater, Odean Pope, and Calvin Hill

I love this record. Admittedly, there's less FIRE than Harper brought to the band on, say, Live in Tokyo -- but I don't mind that. This music just breathes a bit more; it's less unrelenting, more lyrical. ... I'm likely in the minority preferring this LP over the MRQ records with Harper. "But," as Stuart Smalley would say, "that's... O.K."  :P 

43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-689520-1327434213.jpeg.jpg

5 stars.

19 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Keyed-In.png

5 stars.  And an unrecognized masterpiece.

Edited by HutchFan