• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the same trio:

Strollin' (Enja, 1986)

Capture.JPG

This was recorded in my home town at a time when I visited lots of concerts as a teenager. Unfortunately, I had a different taste then. Instead of attending this concert, I went to see... Chris de Burgh a few days earlier. I will never forgive myself.

Edited by Misterioso
typo

1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

From the same trio:

Strollin' (Enja, 1986)

Capture.JPG

This was recorded in my home town at a time when I visited lots of concerts as a teenager. Unfortunately, I had a different taste then. Instead of attending this concert, I went to see... Chris de Burgh a few days earlier. I will never forgive myself.

Those were the days ;) ....

4 hours ago, Misterioso said:

From the same trio:

Strollin' (Enja, 1986)

Capture.JPG

Let´s share our grief. I have a similar story. 1979 a year CB was in his midlate bloom his excelletn quartet with Phil Markowitz gave a concert in my home town. But Mr  B was not on my radar then so I missed the concert and learned only much later about it when I had listened hundreds of times to the quartet´s "Broken Wing" they had recorded that year in Paris. So it goes...

R-4537577-1484768861-6753.jpeg.jpg

R-4537577-1484768862-6740.jpeg.jpg

This is one of those records that I've been hearing for years about what a GREAT record it is, and I've always just assumed that, yeah, ok, I bet it's really good, sure, hey, Bert Wilson, and onward, etc.

So I bought this CD a few years ago thinking that same thing, put it in the pile, and didn't get to it until yesterday.

And as so often happens, I am a dumbass. This Is a GREAT record. Don't know how replicable it could/should be, but that's hardly the point. On that day at that moment, these people mad some really badass, damn near earth-shattering energy music. You'll reach a star because there are such things.

Mea culpa (especially to myself) and as a sidenote of illusory "importance - the line from Sonny Simmons to Stan Kenton (and vice-versa!) goes directly through here.

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-4537577-1484768861-6753.jpeg.jpg

R-4537577-1484768862-6740.jpeg.jpg

This is one of those records that I've been hearing for years about what a GREAT record it is, and I've always just assumed that, yeah, ok, I bet it's really good, sure, hey, Bert Wilson, and onward, etc.

So I bought this CD a few years ago thinking that same thing, put it in the pile, and didn't get to it until yesterday.

And as so often happens, I am a dumbass. This Is a GREAT record. Don't know how replicable it could/should be, but that's hardly the point. On that day at that moment, these people mad some really badass, damn near earth-shattering energy music. You'll reach a star because there are such things.

Mea culpa (especially to myself) and as a sidenote of illusory "importance - the line from Sonny Simmons to Stan Kenton (and vice-versa!) goes directly through here.

Michael Cohen - hmmm??

3 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Let´s share our grief. I have a similar story. 1979 a year CB was in his midlate bloom his excelletn quartet with Phil Markowitz gave a concert in my home town. But Mr  B was not on my radar then so I missed the concert and learned only much later about it when I had listened hundreds of times to the quartet´s "Broken Wing" they had recorded that year in Paris. So it goes...

Brings backs memories, how often I missed Art Farmer during his long stint @ Vienna/Austria .... as (insufficiant) apology .... :

253c285ec0.jpg

R-4428922-1377727610-2914.jpeg.jpgR-4428922-1377727615-3993.jpeg.jpg

Another one I've been aware of for more than a few decades without ever bothering to listen to even once.

Nothing at all like I expected, and, at first listen, a lot less than I had hoped for. But not really doing dedicated listening today, so reserving real judgement unless and until.

I'm listening to disc 2 of "The Complete Bill Evans on Verve" which includes "Converstions with myself" and the first half of all the released material from "Trio '64." I have a real love/hate relationship with this set. I bought the "rusting" set when it first came out and when it went out of print someone offered me a lot for it and I sold it. I bought the "budget" clamshell version when it came out, though I missed the actual discs of the original set, if not the crazy packaging and weirdly printed book. And then I saw on eBay someone selling just the metal bracket with all the discs of the original set for not too much and I bought that and sold the budget set for a bit less than  I paid for it (and it's really gone up in value). Meanwhile I waited and waited for the discs I ordered to arrive from France. . . and after the prescribed waiting period I contacted the seller that I hadn't received them. Without much explanation he sent me a tracking number and apparently he had never sent the set to me, but he did expedite the shipping. I finally received the discs last week and have been listening. So much great music!

13-Complete_Verve_Collection.jpg

Edited by jazzbo