• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The paradox thing is, that I didn´t buy it when it came out ! 

Then, in the mid 70´s the only Mingus Album I had was "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus" (3 LP´s , feat. Dolphy etc. ). 

During that time, even if I didn´t want to recognize it in front of the long haired older guys who were into free and funk, my secret love was a walking bass line.  And though "Great Concert" first bewildered me because of the "freakish" Dolphy and the many tempo changes, I fell in love with that Album.

But I was afraid that a Mingus from 1974 would be even more freakish, I mean with no walking bass line , with no rhythm and no melodies, like radical free jazz. 

The cover photo didn´t help much: Seeing Mingus bowing in the high Register also made me think that this might not be a "regular swing thing"...…..

So it took me at least one or two years to get to listen to this and to my astonishement a Mingus even as late as in 1974 sounded more like regular swing than in 1964. 

You see, I didn´t care if the soloists went "far out" as Long as the rhyhthm section would swing. 

Like the "Ornette!" album with Scott La Faro and Ed Blackwell, it´s free jazz with swing rhythm...…. (Alfred Lion "It must s c h w i n g") 

Unbenannt.png