So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

51-nwDteVfL.jpg

Does it bother anyone besides me that the photo on this 1971 recording is from 1947? Sure, that's a terrific photo of Monk -- and a famous one. But why not choose an image that's from around the time that the record was made??? That photo is anachronistic. 

... Of course, the music is far beyond all criticism. 

It bothers me too. I hate to see cover photos that are from another period of the live of the Artists. 

It also happens in the opposite manner: You see a cover photo of a later period of the Artists, only to discover that the Music is from an early stage of his Career .

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

71Kl-dcGiuL._SL1200_.jpg

Wayne during these years was like Elliot Carter. Or somebody, I don't know. Just lightening fast (or faster) motivic development in the service of a looooong developmental arc. To do this in an improvisational setting (and comparing all the Lost Quintet performances, the improvisational element is quite well-revealed), is a glorious triumph of some of the human potentials,

Mo' Joe.

theelements_coltrane.jpg

Joe Henderson - The Elements featuring Alice Coltrane (Milestone, 1973)

as heard on ...

91S-mQ0x%2BpL._SL500_.jpg

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I heard Griff in April 1978 just before he returned to the States. 

This record was done shortly after his return. 

Then I saw the working quartet with Ronnie Matthews in spring 1980. 

Download (4).jpg

Superb LP! 

I'm jealous that you got to see Griff & Ronnie Mathews! :g

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

5036408206923.jpg?v=3

Disc 1 of 4 which includes the unusual album, The WEDDING CEREMONY of SISTER ROSETTA THARPE and RUSSELL MORRISON.  How many performers have put out recordings of their wedding ceremony?  This one must have been quite an event.

she actually filled a stadium to do the ceremony - was it the Washington Senators stadium? I am not sure, but this does give you an idea of how famous she was.

8 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

she actually filled a stadium to do the ceremony - was it the Washington Senators stadium? I am not sure, but this does give you an idea of how famous she was.

Yes, it was Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C.  The link in my original post was to an NPR story about this event.  Apparently the wedding was kind of a publicity stunt staged in 1951 to re-energize her somewhat flagging career.  She signed a contract to hold this wedding ceremony in Griffith Stadium and then had one year to find herself a husband!  " It's unclear whether she knew Russell Morrison before she decided, a year in advance, to get married to someone in Griffith Stadium. But she found her groom, whether she knew him before or not, and he eventually became her manager."