JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

33,962 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

81ntGP0b8sL._SL1102_.jpg

71IMFfeUhyL._SL1208_.jpg

 

I'm thinking/hoping that there are now more lively transfers available in the general market place? Suggestions, anybody?

For the King Oliver sides, the Archeophone/Off the Record double CD (there is a thread here somewhere) is great. https://www.archeophone.com/catalogue/king-oliver-complete-1923-jazz-band-recordings/

Edited by kh1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

81ntGP0b8sL._SL1102_.jpg

71IMFfeUhyL._SL1208_.jpg

 

I'm thinking/hoping that there are now more lively transfers available in the general market place? Suggestions, anybody?

The Off the Record reissue was lauded here.  I plan on buying it soon and was pretty impressed by their Wolverines and New Orleans Rhythm Kings releases.  Samples can be found here.

Now playing:image.jpg?c=FVf2IZ5CntfhmMwIIWvmqh_TZlp6

After finding Young's Verve sessions set for $20 and Basie's Complete Deccas for $2 last month, I've found myself digging into this set, which I hadn't spent much time with in the several years I've owned it.  I still have 5 or 6 discs of Verve material and the Deccas to hear.  Between all of this Pres and the Chu Berry Mosaic, I don't need to leave the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

For the King Oliver sides, the Archeophone/Off the Record double CD (there is a thread here somewhere) is great. https://www.archeophone.com/catalogue/king-oliver-complete-1923-jazz-band-recordings/

 

22 minutes ago, Justin V said:

The Off the Record reissue was lauded here.  I plan on buying it soon and was pretty impressed by their Wolverines and New Orleans Rhythm Kings releases.  Samples can be found here.

Thanks, both of you. Just ordered the Off The Record set. A bit pricier than I was wanting to go, but I'm fed up with having to listen to this stuff sounding like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

81WSeSizyML._SS500_.jpg

Let's hear it for Larry Willis! Oh yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.12.2019 at 9:35 AM, BillF said:

81pYjPAHaNL._SS500_.jpg

Yeah, Bud´s first trio recordings 1947 and a very fine set from 1953, when he still was at his peak.

 

But he could still play up to his highest standards even 15 years later, as the 1962 set in Lausanne shows. I played it yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

81WSeSizyML._SS500_.jpg

Let's hear it for Larry Willis! Oh yeah.

The band definitely surpasses itself here ....

Edited by soulpope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

7_Jim-Snidero.jpg

Man, we're getting old, aren't we? I can't believe that Jim is already 61.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This 2 tenor quintet CD with Bob Cooper, Pete Christlieb, Mike Wofford, Chuck Berghofer & Donald Bailey is true winner.

I consider it on the same level as the Al Cohn / Zoot Sims sessions, and the Johnny Griffin / Lockjaw Davis recordings.

Their version of "Limehouse Blues" is as good as it gets.814sO4PFrEL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

81TkuNHH7RL._SS500_.jpg

Gato Barbieri - Chapter Four: Alive in New York (Impulse, 1975)
The last entry in Barbieri's superb 1973-75 run on Impulse.

 

 

12 minutes ago, soulpope said:

e960f2c73f.jpg

The MAGIC TRIANGLE! :tup 

 

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bresna said:

Man, we're getting old, aren't we? I can't believe that Jim is already 61.

He's here on the IU campus tomorrow and Wednesday--hoping to catch a free set he's doing with Dave Stryker and Steve Houghton after my airshift wraps up tomorrow evening.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

 

Thanks, both of you. Just ordered the Off The Record set. A bit pricier than I was wanting to go, but I'm fed up with having to listen to this stuff sounding like this.

I can all but guarantee that you will be pleased you did so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

d9560b99e4bbac9c5f31371c109fe639200be243

More Piano Trio beauty ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bresna said:

Man, we're getting old, aren't we? I can't believe that Jim is already 61.

Tell me about it, I knew him at NT when we were both at or under 23...oh well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I can all but guarantee that you will be pleased you did so!

I put it in the car yesterday and expect to be through it by the time I get home from work today. Amazon is supposed to have it here today/tonight, so I'm just going to put it right back in the car and take up where I left off, more or less.

Looking forward to hearing some life put into it, or more accurately, recovered from it. I know it's there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bresna said:

Man, we're getting old, aren't we? I can't believe that Jim is already 61.

Time he got grown-up shoes! ;)

7_Jim-Snidero.jpg

Edited by BillF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BillF said:

Time he got grown-up shoes! ;)

7_Jim-Snidero.jpg

:D ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now