Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grateful-Dead-Ready-or-Not.jpg

Grateful Dead "Ready or Not". . . .This is a compilation of live tracks of songs that the last incarnation of the Dead with Garcia had never recorded in the studio. This is nowhere near the era of Dead I like and this cd hasn't changed my mind, but I had to check it out. . . .

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

What do you think of this CD, jazzbo?   I have several of Da Fonseca's recordings, and I've enjoyed all of them. So I'm betting this one is good too. ;) 

Listening to "DuDuku Da Fonseca Trio Play Don Salvador" again. It's quite a nice album.  

Duduka-da-Fonseca-Trio-Plays-Dom-Salvado
Edited by jazzbo

81fjj9QQl6L._SS500_.jpg

Produced by the late Dr. Herb Wong.  This album has a hidden motherlode of talent.  Performing in the groups listed on the album cover one will also hear Art Pepper, Joe Henderson, Charles McPherson, Jerome Richardson, Roger Kellaway, Tom Harrell, Dave Liebman, George Mraz , Billy Higgins and more.  Good stuff.

2030876_sa.jpg

The sequel album, like most sequels, is not as great, but still has an impressive cast:  McCoy Tyner, Phil Woods Quintet, Chico Freeman Quartet, Sheila Jordan/Harvie Swartz and Dianne Reeves among them.  Saxophonists really seem to love "The Christmas Song".  Dexter, Jug and Jaws all beautifully rhapsodized on that tune -- each in their own way -- on an OJC compilation I listened to yesterday.  Joe Henderson was the standout performer on this song as a member of the Mal Waldron Quartet on the CD above.  Chico Freeman does a very warm version in a duo with Larry Willis here.