• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41AD3Ep120L.jpg

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

And now an old classic is running. When I was at school, many people talked about the famous LesMcCann Eddie Harris stuff.

Download.jpg

I knew that this record was a hit, but I didn't realize how BIG of a hit it was -- until just recently when I was doing some research. 

I read that Atlantic sold more than a million (!) copies of the LP.  Could that be true?  ... If so, wouldn't that make it one of the best selling jazz records ever?

Edited by HutchFan

39 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I knew that this record was a hit, but I didn't realize how BIG of a hit it was -- until just recently when I was doing some research. 

I read that Atlantic sold more than a million (!) copies of the LP.  Could that be true?  ... If so, wouldn't that make it one of the best selling jazz records ever?

Very true.

That record was a huge hit, with a lot of crossover appeal (I figured that out when I showed up to college my freshman year and met people who didn't know anything else about jazz, but they knew that record).. Of course, the "hit" was "Compared to What", which made it problematic for a lot of radio stations (there were "beeped" versions that got played on the stations in this area). Also, what radio play it did get was on Black and/or Underground Radio, so if you weren't tuned in to (pun almost unavoidable, sorry) that scene, you'd have no idea what was going on with that record.

"Cold Duck Time" was also pretty popular, especially as a live/club tune. I was still playing it well into the 1990s.

So yeah, a monster hit record.

re: Harris & McCann - both were primed for this kind of marketplace synergy, having both had pretty good R&B Chart hits, Harris in 1968 with "Listen Here" & McCann with "With These Hands". in 1967, both on Atlantic.

Atlantic and Joel Dorn were doing quite well in those days in finding both their core audience and people outside that core but close enough to come in and see what was going on. They definitely had a "thing".

48 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Very true.

That record was a huge hit, with a lot of crossover appeal (I figured that out when I showed up to college my freshman year and met people who didn't know anything else about jazz, but they knew that record).. Of course, the "hit" was "Compared to What", which made it problematic for a lot of radio stations (there were "beeped" versions that got played on the stations in this area). Also, what radio play it did get was on Black and/or Underground Radio, so if you weren't tuned in to (pun almost unavoidable, sorry) that scene, you'd have no idea what was going on with that record.

"Cold Duck Time" was also pretty popular, especially as a live/club tune. I was still playing it well into the 1990s.

So yeah, a monster hit record.

39 minutes ago, JSngry said:

re: Harris & McCann - both were primed for this kind of marketplace synergy, having both had pretty good R&B Chart hits, Harris in 1968 with "Listen Here" & McCann with "With These Hands". in 1967, both on Atlantic.

Atlantic and Joel Dorn were doing quite well in those days in finding both their core audience and people outside that core but close enough to come in and see what was going on. They definitely had a "thing".

Good stuff. Thanks Jim. :tup