JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

34,930 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, erwbol said:

jRXLvro.jpg

Passed on that series but wish I had bought a few. The US releases are a bit lacking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Passed on that series but wish I had bought a few. The US releases are a bit lacking. 

A lot of them are very good. I have almost the entire Coltrane portion of the series, except the ones I didn't need like The Coltrane Quartet Plays (APO Hybrid SACD). The mini-LPs are laminated and so not easily damaged (unlike the Alice Coltrane mini-LPs from 2004). This is the best Ascension CD I have heard. The Kevin Reeves from 2000 had too much highs, the Originals from 2008 also by Reeves was even worse with added compression.

Edited by erwbol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Listening to this for the second time today:

81dCjFPdKOL._SS500_.jpg

Miles Davis - Live at The Fillmore East (March 7, 1970): It's About That Time (Sony Legacy, 2 CDs)

This masterpiece is the subject of today's blog post on PLAYING FAVORITES.

 

The thing that most makes me smile about this gig is a bit trivial (or not, maybe!) - the gig was Wayne's last with the band, and it was on a Saturday. With that in mind,, note that Wayne takes great pains to, at one point, quote "Never On Sunday" to some great length. Language!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9538818-1482337319-7401.jpeg.jpg

Spurred on by the inclusion of "Sister Sadie" in Dan Gould's current BFT. This is a really good band, and a pretty damn good record, with Pauls Gonsalves & Quinichette aboard (although not at the same time). But the real treat for me is the section work here, the blends and colors that was once everywhere and today seems to be nowhere. I've heard the same thing about the "French Orchestra sound", but can't speak to that.

This, I think I can speak to. Technology changes, society changes playing changes to meet the technological and societal changes, and so it goes, colors change, concepts of sound change...nothing's "right" or "wrong", just different.  And me myself, this era/style of section playing is really, really satisfying.

How many people playing in big bands today have actual, extended experience playing in any kind of a dance band, never mind an unamplified one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

81RmkcWz1wL._SS500_.jpgWhen my daughter wakes up and asks for some Stitt, I have no problem obliging her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Tapscott said:

R-2681940-1298299140.jpeg.jpg

That's a damn good record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hubert Laws "Carnegie Hall" CTI/BGO Records

Carnegie_Hall_%28Hubert_Laws_album%29.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, erwbol said:

A lot of them are very good. I have almost the entire Coltrane portion of the series, except the ones I didn't need like The Coltrane Quartet Plays (APO Hybrid SACD). The mini-LPs are laminated and so not easily damaged (unlike the Alice Coltrane mini-LPs from 2004). This is the best Ascension CD I have heard. The Kevin Reeves from 2000 had too much highs, the Originals from 2008 also by Reeves was even worse with added compression.

Noted. If these come round again I’ll be waiting. In the meantime, this:  

 

tocj4218cd5_1000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

Noted. If these come round again I’ll be waiting.

The masters have been used for subsequent (budget) reissues in jewel cases, some up until recently while others having been replaced with for instance the US Originals masters of the 2011 SHM-CD masters. I have a spare copy of this Ascension in jewel case in near mint condition as well (UCCI-9124). Are you perhaps interested for a friendly price? 

I also have Live at the Village Vanguard Again! (UCCI-9144).

Also a spare copy of the incredible SHM-CD from 2011 of Meditations without the distortion in the bass of the all domestic releases. And SHM-CD 2011 of Transition.

Friendly price means free except the price of shipping, which is not budget from the Netherlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dexter Gordon "Our Man in Paris" Blue Note Japan "24 Bit by RVG" cd

R-473889-1119152404.jpg

For a bit more than a month I've neglected to refile this one in the shelves and have been spinning it. It has the mojo, great to have Bud and Klook with Dex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, erwbol said:

Though the two sets from March 6, 1970 have been recorded in much better sound without the added distortion. Strange Sony chose to only release March 7, 1970. The soundboard bootleg from the other night is an essential companion.

Thanks erwbol.  I'll track that down. :tup 

I will say that I intentionally avoided including bootlegs in my survey -- even if they're widely available. Just wanted to stick with official releases.

 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The thing that most makes me smile about this gig is a bit trivial (or not, maybe!) - the gig was Wayne's last with the band, and it was on a Saturday. With that in mind,, note that Wayne takes great pains to, at one point, quote "Never On Sunday" to some great length. Language!

Wayne's fantastic wit.  No way that's trivial.  

 

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

When my daughter wakes up and asks for some Stitt, I have no problem obliging her.

Justin, you have an extremely HIP daughter!  ;) 

 

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

R-2681940-1298299140.jpeg.jpg

Still strange that Geri Allen's gone. ... Way too soon. 

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Wayne's fantastic wit.  No way that's trivial.  

Right. And the notion of music as an actual language, a means of literal (but non-verbal) communication, no way that's trivial either! Notes are just the building blocks of a very complex and comprehensive language.

Verbal language is actually too often crude in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Verbal language is actually too often crude in comparison.

Absolutely. 

Makes me think of this famous quote: "Human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we tap crude rhythms for bears to dance to, while we long to make music that will move the stars to pity."
-- Flaubert

 

NP:

61guMQMVboL._SS500_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Right. And the notion of music as an actual language, a means of literal (but non-verbal) communication, no way that's trivial either! Notes are just the building blocks of a very complex and comprehensive language.

Verbal language is actually too often crude in comparison.

How do you say "Where is the men's room?" in music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Milt Jackson" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG cd.

nbn1+017_thumb_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks erwbol.  I'll track that down. :tup 

I will say that I intentionally avoided including bootlegs in my survey -- even if they're widely available. Just wanted to stick with official releases.

It's no longer on Dimeadozen, but I still have the FLAC files from 2006 on my hard drive. I can upload to dropbox or similar for whomever is interested.

----------------

Miles Davis Sextet
March 6, 1970
Fillmore East
New York City

Miles Davis - trumpet
Wayne Shorter - tenor & soprano saxophones
Chick Corea - electric piano
Dave Holland - acoustic & electric basses
Jack DeJohnette - drums

Airto Moreira - percussion

Disc One: First Show
1. (band warming up) / Directions 8:29
2.  Miles Runs the Voodoo Down 13:08
3.  I Fall in Love Too Easily/Sanctuary 5:56
4. It's About That Time/The Theme (appl) 14:39

Disc Two: Second Show
1. (band warming up) / Directions 9:58
2.  Miles Runs the Voodoo Down 10:16
3.  Miles Runs the Voodoo Down (concl) 4:32
4. It's About That Time/The Theme (appl) 16:19
(I Fall in Love Too Easily and Sanctuary are omitted)

Artwork available here:
http://www.miles-trees.org/pasttrees/index.cfm?fuseaction=cor_av&artID=973
More information at Peter Losin's "Miles Ahead":
http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=700306

I originally received this several rears ago via the Miles-Trees.org "Fillmore" tree.  Thanks to all involved for your efforts. This should not be confused with the following night's concert (March 7), which Columbia officially released as "It's About That Time" in 2001. When the Fillmore Tree was originally distributed, the general consensus was that this March 6 recording sounded much better than the official March 7 release.


Lineage:
Audio CD-R -> xACT CD extract util -> .WAV files -> xACT flac level 8 -> you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

How do you say "Where is the men's room?" in music?

Why would you need to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

How do you say "Where is the men's room?" in music?

 

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Why would you need to?

Exactly.

You're thinking in prose, Captain.  Think POETRY.  Wooing a lover (or at least getting laid). Finding God (or at least some sort of meaning).  Sorting out the order of things.  Expressing who you are, booty shaking-wise or otherwise.  BIG things, man!  That's what the language of music is for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OTOH, I used to think that Joanne Brackeen always sounded/played like she needed to pee, like, right NOW.

But I'd also think that she was pro enough to have already scoped out where the bathroom was in any place she played. Pros just do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disc 1 of the "The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-70" box set from Mosaic Records.

52 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

How do you say "Where is the men's room?" in music?

You reference the famous Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Exactly.

You're thinking in prose, Captain.  Think POETRY.  Wooing a lover (or at least getting laid). Finding God (or at least some sort of meaning).  Sorting out the order of things.  Expressing who you are, booty shaking-wise or otherwise.  BIG things, man!  That's what the language of music is for.

Because if a language has no fixed meaning that people can agree upon, then it's useless. What if I'm finding god on my sax but that fat homely bitch in the front row thinks I'm wooing her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.