JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

34,988 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Because if a language has no fixed meaning that people can agree upon, then it's useless. What if I'm finding god on my sax but that fat homely bitch in the front row thinks I'm wooing her?

Speaking of language...:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

OTOH, I used to think that Joanne Brackeen always sounded/played like she needed to pee, like, right NOW.

But I'd also think that she was pro enough to have already scoped out where the bathroom was in any place she played. Pros just do that.

Jim, you're confusing musical urgency with bladder urgency.

Not all urgency is the same. ;) 

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Because if a language has no fixed meaning that people can agree upon, then it's useless.

We need, at best, a dictionary and a government, to make that even kinda work for verbal/written languages on any scale, so I'm not particularly impressed by their efficacy.

16 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

What if I'm finding god on my sax but that fat homely bitch in the front row thinks I'm wooing her?

Then you'd best allow for the possibility that you are about to find god where you least expect it (which is usually how it works anyway).

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Jim, you're confusing musical urgency with bladder urgency.

Not all urgency is the same. ;) 

 

Nor are all bathrooms. The REAL pros know which ones have locks on the stalls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

We need, at best, a dictionary and a government, to make that even kinda work for verbal/written languages on any scale, so I'm not particularly impressed by their efficacy.

WTF are you under the influence of today, my man? For thousands of years traditional cultures without writing or gov't have been communicating just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NP:

R-962203-1331554692.jpeg.jpg

Latin Percussion Jazz Ensemble - Just Like Magic (Latin Percussion Ventures, 1979)
Cheesy cover, but good music.  Features no less than three heroes of Latin percussion: Tito Puente, Carlos "Patato" Valdes, and Steve Berrios.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

WTF are you under the influence of today, my man? For thousands of years traditional cultures without writing or gov't have been communicating just fine. 

And as well with traditions of non-verbal communications.

Cutting those off (and/or minimizing their importance in ways up to and including calling the very possibility of the existence of such) is like cutting off the higher and lower overtones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And as well with traditions of non-verbal communications.

Cutting those off (and/or minimizing their importance in ways up to and including calling the very possibility of the existence of such) is like cutting off the higher and lower overtones.

You mean like using drums to communicate? OK, but in that case unless everyone in the tribe has agreed that this drumbeat means "enemy approaching" it's useless as a means of communication. If Art Blakey starts expressing himself on the drum, the tribe won't know WTF to think and they'll all be slaughtered by the enemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, erwbol said:

The masters have been used for subsequent (budget) reissues in jewel cases, some up until recently while others having been replaced with for instance the US Originals masters of the 2011 SHM-CD masters. I have a spare copy of this Ascension in jewel case in near mint condition as well (UCCI-9124). Are you perhaps interested for a friendly price? 

I also have Live at the Village Vanguard Again! (UCCI-9144).

Also a spare copy of the incredible SHM-CD from 2011 of Meditations without the distortion in the bass of the all domestic releases. And SHM-CD 2011 of Transition.

Friendly price means free except the price of shipping, which is not budget from the Netherlands.

Thank you - I sent you a PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

 If Art Blakey starts expressing himself on the drum, the tribe won't know WTF to think and they'll all be slaughtered by the enemy.

The assumption here is that "expression" by definition falls outside of the "language" of the tribe?

I don't know where you grew up, but I grew up in the semi-rural American South, and we pretty much all knew that a simple "hmmmm...." could mean damn near anything (including "where's the men's room) depending on tone, inflection, facial expression, body language, the whole thing. So I've never been convinced that a literal verbal/written expression is the ultimate in meaning. Far from it, actually.

Quite apart from all that though...if there's a language that is not being understood, the problem is not necessarily with the language, and really, it's not necessarily a problem at all. Nobody understands everything. How could they? Why would they? Everything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The assumption here is that "expression" by definition falls outside of the "language" of the tribe?

I don't know where you grew up, but I grew up in the semi-rural American South, and we pretty much all knew that a simple "hmmmm...." could mean damn near anything (including "where's the men's room) depending on tone, inflection, facial expression, body language, the whole thing. So I've never been convinced that a literal verbal/written expression is the ultimate in meaning. Far from it, actually.

Quite apart from all that though...if there's a language that is not being understood, the problem is not necessarily with the language, and really, it's not necessarily a problem at all. Nobody understands everything. How could they? Why would they? Everything?

But what about a language comprised of nothing but hmmm's? I suppose it's possible, but damned impractical and all but impossible to reproduce.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

But what about a language comprised of nothing but hmmm's?

As long as the people who are supposed to understand it can, you got yourself a language.

Now, if all you want to do is talk to yourself in a language that only you are certain to understand, hey, knock yourself out. Just don't get all angst-y if the gigs aren't there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

As long as the people who are supposed to understand it can, you got yourself a language.

Now, if all you want to do is talk to yourself in a language that only you are certain to understand, hey, knock yourself out. Just don't get all angst-y if the gigs aren't there.

That's how I feel when I hear people talking about the language of music, or when Leonard Bernstein wants to explain to me what music means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

71bWbSQyRmL._SS500_.jpg

Emiliano Salvador - Nueva Visión (EGREM/Qbadisc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

51mmMJl-YGL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

:tup I was just about to post this:

71VuMhNlPFL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by erwbol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, erwbol said:

71VuMhNlPFL._SL1200_.jpg

:tupTerrific:tup ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9545896-1521561091-6832.jpeg.jpg

Bill Anschell - Rumbler (Origin, 2016).  Bill Anschell - piano; Chris Symer - bass; Jose Martinez - drums; Brian Monroney - guitar; Jeff Busch - perc; Jeff Coffin - soprano sax; Richard Cole - tenor sax; Hans Teuber - flute, tenor sax, alto sax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soulpope said:

:tupTerrific:tup ....

I think I'll order the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Johnny Griffin from this series next. Have you heard it? Is the sound as good as the Woody Shaw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, erwbol said:

I think I'll order the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Johnny Griffin from this series next. Have you heard it? Is the sound as good as the Woody Shaw?

The sound is not as good as on the Woody Shaw, but still very good .... and the music is excellent indeed ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, erwbol said:

I think I'll order the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Johnny Griffin from this series next.

I can tell you that it's among the friskier Jaws/Griff sides of all time, one of the very friskiest, in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JSngry said:

 

I can tell you that it's among the friskier Jaws/Griff sides of all time, one of the very friskiest, in fact.

I only have the outstanding (performance & sound) Promising Music reissue of Though Tenors Again N Again, originally MPS. Where should I go from there? The early Prestige OJCs? The other new live date Ow! Live At The Penthouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member