JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

34,935 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

Discs 4 and 5, the Mr. Natural session: With a rhythm section of McCoy, Cranshaw, Elvin and Barretto, the groove is so damn deep (and Lee up front!).  I only got this set last year (for $50, discs sealed) and it is such a fine set.

Wow!  That was a STEAL. :tup 

28 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Wow!  That was a STEAL. :tup 

Obscene ! :D

Now streaming (via Amazon Prime):

71cE8iC84qL._SS500_.jpg

A compilation of Barretto's jazz-oriented music that he made while he was with Fania.  Selected by Bobby Sanabria.

Edited by HutchFan

Last night went to a concert featuring the excellent vocalist- Veronica Swift. She is the daughter of Hod O'Brien.51J3vYINeIL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

42 minutes ago, BillF said:

R-3039925-1430067811-4328.jpeg.jpg

Ray Avery cover photo ! :tup

Stan Getz "Getz au Go Go" Verve Essentials cd.

Lovely stuff.  This disc is for me what I imagine a highball is to many.

960.jpg

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Earlier this evening:

R-1117126-1193379555.jpeg.jpg

Charles Tolliver's Music Inc. recordings from Slugs' Saloon are the subject of today's post on my blog, PLAYING FAVORITES.

Ferrocious music ....

54 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

94156991-6B60-47A9-AFD7-8A9BA82AE6A0.jpeg

Nice !

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Ray Avery cover photo ! :tup

518UDemiuuL.jpg

51hckCKM5VL._SX355_.jpg

I also like these pix.

I already have the shirt. All I need now is the hat!

9 minutes ago, BillF said:

58174.jpg

I think I have this with another cover. A CD with a Cartoon pic of Flips and I think all his Verve Recordings from the late 40´s into the early 50´s . And there are some more boppish sounding sides with Howard McGhee on it. 

Some very fine Flip Phillips is also on that old America label LP "Saturday Night Jazz Session" with Roy Eldrige-Flips Phillips on the first side, and a mixed all star band featuring Fats Navarro on the other side. Flips Phillips really strong on the title "Flip and Jazz". 

55 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have this with another cover. A CD with a Cartoon pic of Flips and I think all his Verve Recordings from the late 40´s into the early 50´s . And there are some more boppish sounding sides with Howard McGhee on it.

A "cartoon"? :D Look out- if this is the one I am thinking of ("Flip Wails") then you are on the verge of getting into hot water with some cognoscenti - that "cartoon" is a high-art cover drawing by the eminent David Stone Martin. ;)
(Yes, opinions on DSM covers CAN vary, but still ... )

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

@Big Beat Steve

The Version I have really seems to be a Cartoon, isn´t it ? 

Look here. 

images.jpg

:D :D

Indeed ...

But I am still trying to figure out if this ACTUALLY is cartoon of Flip Phillips. Somehow the likeness isn't there. A cartoon is supposed to exaggerate the visual features and proportions of the subject, not to totally CHANGE them ... Another one of those bungled-up cover "art" drawings ... (Is this a Japanese reissue?)

Anyway ... I suppose your CD (set?) includes a LOT more than the LP shown by BillF (which I also have, and the Flip Wails CD alone - which is not a "Complete" reissue either - already has more than this LP).

3 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

:D :D

Indeed ...

But I am still trying to figure out if this ACTUALLY is cartoon of Flip Phillips. Somehow the likeness isn't there. A cartoon is supposed to exaggerate the visual features and proportions of the subject, not to totally CHANGE them ... Another one of those bungled-up cover "art" drawings ... (Is this a Japanese reissue?)

Anyway ... I suppose your CD (set?) includes a LOT more than the LP shown by BillF (which I also have, and the Flip Wails CD alone - which is not a "Complete" reissue either - already has more than this LP).

Actually I bought it for the tracks I heard on the Saturday Radioshow "Jazzshop" when they were spinned around 1977. I had recorded them on tape but decades later I wanted to have them to listen again to them.

It was two or three tracks with McGhee and one with the larger band, the title was "Cookie" or "Cutie" or something like that. 

And somehow from the way the hair is on that Cartoon I actually think or thought until now that´s a Flip Phillips Cartoon.