So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’ve read conflicting reviews on Culture Factory, enough so that I’ve decided to pass on them. 

I can get this for about €12.68 with free shipping, but it might be a rough ride with minimalist packaging from the USA. Recently ordered a CD in a jewel case (John Patton Got A Good Thing Going Japanese CD from last summer) from that seller that arrived in tatters. The artwork and CD were undamaged of course, and I am not the type to mourn a lost jewel case, but I doubt Culture Factory uses Japanese grade mini-lp packaging despite the faux OBI strip.

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, erwbol said:

New remasters? I am in need of a good remaster of Let Freedom Ring. I currently have the BN Works. Is this more like the 75th anniversary SHMs or the recent 80th anniversary CDs from June through August?

How sturdy is the packaging?

The packaging is semi-sturdy. It's a bit taller than the JRVG, not a whole lot, and it's stiff card stock as opposed to the thicker cardboard or fiberboard of the JRVGs.

The sound is closer to the 75th Anniversary than the UHQCD they re-released most recently, and I dare say it may be a bit better than the SHM-CD--personal preference and system characteristics may mean one is preferred over the other.

15 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’ve read conflicting reviews on Culture Factory, enough so that I’ve decided to pass on them. 

I like many Culture Factory cds to be honest, but some are turkeys. These two they just released of Blue Notes don't sound like any other Culture Factory cds I have, neither as "pumped up" nor as EQ'd. There's no mastering info on this other than they are 24/96 remastered. I got them from Amazon for less than 9 dollars each. I hope they continue with more titles from the label as I'm digging these two.

Edited by jazzbo

It seems they intend to do more Erwin, I finally found this info on the amazon.fr site which includes a little info about their remastering intention for this series (which differs from the rock releases I have from the label).

Thanks to Don Was, we are proud to annonce the beginning of our Blue Note Collection in CD Vinyl Replica.
Whats better to have a hard to find album
Let Freedom Ring Is An Album By Jackie Mclean, Recorded In 1962.
Mclean Wrote Three Of The Four Compositions.
The One Non-Mclean Track Is Bud Powells Ballad, Ill Keep Loving You.

Deluxe Vinyl Replicas by Culture Factory constitute high quality reissued compact-discs which reproduce all the components of the original LPs and are their exact replicas in compact-disc size (5.3 x 5.3 inches), with authentic single or gatefold cardboard jackets and paper sleeves. In addition to the above, each compact-disc Deluxe Vinyl Replica includes a black finish CD complete with the original label to give it the look and feel of the original record album. Culture Factory strives to achieve an authentic sound with the highest possible fidelity to the original studio masters. Our remastering process brings out the music's true dynamics and original clarity with low levels of noise. In the remastering studio the audio tracks are handled in the form of high-definition, 96Kz / 24-bit digital files for greatest preservation of fidelity. Signal compression is sometimes used to bring out frequencies that were absent or barely heard in the original recordings, and we use the least amount of compression possible. While sound perception varies greatly among individuals our vinyl replica CDs are designed to provide the optimal listening experience when using flat EQ settings. Brand new, original, factory-sealed, limited edition CD release

Cool, I don't remember seeing that on the site before. My guess is the 1,000 only decision is Universal/Blue Note's and not Culture Factory's. They have a lot of series going on different labels and formats, and probably want to keep titles rotating in formats and different groups of listeners.

Edited by jazzbo

I just played the BN Works' first track and the cymbals are noticeably rolled off.

28 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

The packaging is semi-sturdy. It's a bit taller than the JRVG, not a whole lot, and it's stiff card stock as opposed to the thicker cardboard or fiberboard of the JRVGs.

About the same as Crossings in Herbie Hancock The Warner Bros. Years from 2014?

I would select a vendor close to you that you suspect or know packs better than average. . . These could easily be damaged by poor packing and shipping. (Though mine came tightly fitted in a tightly sealed cardboard envelope/jet pack via USPS and were undamaged.)

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Peter Lemer Quintet "Local Colour" ESP Disk cd.

MI0003548063.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

That is a nice one I haven't pulled out in years. 

Now playing:

51M-MKK0w0L._SY400_.jpg

I bought this last year for $2.  That was enough of a taste of Kid Ory to make me leap at the chance to buy the Mosaic for $65 today.  Even if I decide I don't need that much Ory in my collection, I could probably find a new home for the set here.  

Edited by Justin V

3 minutes ago, Justin V said:

That is a nice one I haven't pulled out in years. 

Now playing:

51M-MKK0w0L._SY400_.jpg

I bought this last year for $2.  That was enough of a taste of Kid Ory to make me leap at the chance to buy the Mosaic for $65 today.  Even if I decide I don't need that much Ory in my collection, I could probably find a new home for the set here.  

It's a great Mosaic.