• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2207620-1269870449.jpeg.jpg

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh HELL yeah! Fania never used Chombo (afaik) and that is to their eternal discredit. Chombo was one of those guys that if you don't get "it", you might not get it. He's not the only one, but damn, CHOMBO!!!!

[...]

and Charlie Palmieri...overlooked at one's own risk, imo.

Need to listen to more Chombo.

Re: Charlie Palmieri -- Absolutely. I especially dig CP when he starts playing organ... like he does on his brother's Vamonos Pal Monte. VERY unique.

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81Q9T6tYsEL._SS400_.jpg

Graham Collier Music - Songs for My Father (Fontana, 1970)

This album is the subject of today's entry on my 70's jazz blog, PLAYING FAVORITES.

:tup :tup :tup 

:tup :tup :tup 

The Benny Wallace Album must be great. 

I didn´t have it myself, but in the late 70´s or early 80s there was a great Album Benny Wallace Plays Monk, but it seems it is not available any more. I never saw Benny Wallace live but it seems he was very much in Action than. 

But I must admit I haven´t heard until now about Graham Collier or any of the sideman listed on that album. you say from the 70´s , well that was about my time, but maybe I listend to other jazz artists then. 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

But I must admit I haven´t heard until now about Graham Collier or any of the sideman listed on that album. you say from the 70´s , well that was about my time, but maybe I listend to other jazz artists then. 

Gheorghe,

Well, if you investigate Collier's music, I hope you enjoy it!  :) 

I suppose pianist John Taylor was the most well-known musician on the session.  He played with Kenny Wheeler and Norma Winstone in the trio ensemble Azimuth.  They recorded several albums for ECM in the 70s and 80s. 

Taylor and Winstone were married, and they recorded as a duo as well.  Can't help but recommend their album ...Like Song, Like Weather from 1999.  It's amazing.  

71bo8Ky6XuL._SL500_.jpg

51n7VsNNTUL.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

If not already, then now!

R-1685901-1350608028-5503.jpeg.jpg

Thanks Jim!  :tup:tup:tup 

EDIT:
After some poking around on discogs, I discovered that Mighty Mongo was reissued on this CD:

R-6223835-1414133928-5997.jpeg.jpg

Found it on YT, and I'm listening now. :D 

Edited by HutchFan

32 minutes ago, soulpope said:

MI0001901297.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Perennial favorite ....

Yes.

Looking back on it fifty years later, it's clear that something happened to Solal around 1970, when he released this LP.  He'd been an fantastic pianist for a long time, but "suddenly" he's an amazing artist.  A master, even.

Or at least that's the impression I get from listening to the records.  Of course, records don't tell the whole story.  But they do tell a story.

Edited by HutchFan