So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I remember something like your experience with Joe Newman that crept up between the lines a long time before in some reivew of a tour involving Joe Newman. Sounded to me like a case of some bitter man who felt he had not received his star dues.

It´s very possible it was that way. 

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

But the other thing that really pissed me off was his attitude on stage when he traveled as a single artists and performed with locals. I witnessed this on several occasions. The local rhythm section was doing a good job and swung and they had played with enough visiting US greats (bigger names than Joe Newman), and he stood their and lectured the guys how to play, what to play, what not to play...…. it was so embarassing. 

If it would have been some heavy stuff with difficult forms , tempo changes and tricky chords, okay...…. but you don´t have to be a Nobel Price winner to Play "Bye Bye Blackbird", the local Rhythm section had played that stuff 100s of times and sure knew how to play "Blackbird" without all that lecturing shit from Joe Newman. 

That's a bummer.  Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, he was just having a one-off asshole day. 

And if not... I'm sure quite a few of our musical heroes weren't the nicest people you were ever going to meet.  People like Miles and Stan Getz come to mind immediately.  IIRC, we have a whole thread dedicated to "Jerk Musicians" here on the board.

Still gonna listen to the music they made though -- if it's any good. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

Shore-Dinah-Five-Classic-Albums.jpg

Disc 2 of 2.  When I was a lad, Dinah Shore had a daytime TV chat show and she seemed to me to be utterly square and corny.  There sure ain't nothing square or corny about this --

That's a little vocal gem, which for me, ranks right up there with the immortal versions of this song recorded by Frank Sinatra and Sarah Vaughan.