Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Yeah, and that great tune "Ife", I always liked that very much, with Dave Liebman on flute. By the way, I´m gonna see Dave Liebman-Richie Beirach next Sunday.....

Fantastic, I love it and after so much listening you always discover something "new" in it....

Lucky man ! :tup

When I saw Davis at his London comeback performance in 1982 they played ‘Ife’. Quite a surprise for me at the time, as I was very familiar with the 70s vinyl and wasn’t expecting him to play the earlier material. It was a very different version though.

I think Paul Buckmaster mentioned that the version of ‘Ife’ recorded as part of the ‘Corner’ sessions stayed much more to the intent of his score compared with the other material of his that was recorded.

Edited by sidewinder

Now something special ! 

The Max Roach Double Quartet (with the string quartet).

The first tune is based on "Confirmation" and the string chorusses are something like "supersax" just for strings. They quote several Bird Songs in it. Really nice !

"Sis" has a very lyrical mood, a beautiful thing.

"A Little Booker" is ultra fast and a fine feature for Odean Pope.

And as an encore we have a little surprise with the string quartet playing a cute ragtime thing. Really very much to enjoy on this album ! 

Download (5).jpg