Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51uNaYpjY%2BL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 2: I'm working on ripping my Mosaics to FLAC.  Many have at least  been ripped to mp3 and uploaded to my Google Play library, but this one hadn't.  Considering most of my listening consists of streaming with Google Play, I'll be able to listen to this and other sets more often. :)

On 17.3.2020 at 4:33 PM, soulpope said:

Change of pace .... :

ab67616d0000b27319d24b1bad13314a727c0784

Here´s another one, done in 1973 at Montmatre in Copenhagen, with Kenny Drew, Nils Henning Orsted Pederson and Alex Riel. 

I have a special affinity to Jackie McLean. During my time as a young jazz enthusiast one of my mentors was the famous Fritz Novotny, the great austrian free jazz pioneer (he started to play avantgarde as early as in 1959). We talked a lot and when I told him I saw Jackie McLean live and started to buy his records, he told me I´m on the right pace and I came by to his place and he played some of the BN albums for me (One Step Beyond, Destiantion Out, Old and New Gospel etc.). 

Download (2).jpg

5 hours ago, BillF said:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRSzuMN_kOZ4QNgFLRIo

Very enjoyable for those of us who have those tendencies, but I found while listening to the whole thing a while ago on a long car trip that as the so to speak "West Coast" aspects/feel of the earlier dates gave way to the somewhat  (for want of a better term) more mainstream modern feel of the later dates, my interest began to wane. That's not because I favor the former style over the latter but perhaps because the former style was more in tune with the arguably rather quirky/special gifts and traits of Niehaus as both player and writer. I'm thinking of his rhythmic approach in particular -- I think that very few altoists placed so many accents on what seem to me to be  relatively weak beats and avoided placing them on strong beats as the early Niehaus did. One might have doubts about this approach, which could be said to either imperil swing per se or amount to a significant modification  of its commonly perceived nature and virtues. But for my part, as Niehaus on those latter dates became a somewhat more conventionally swinging player, he became a less interesting one. But then, when Niehaus returned to playing jazz after his long layoff to concentrate on film scoring, and recorded with the likes of Bill Perkins and Jack Nimitz, a modified version of his early accenting on the weak beats rhythmic approach cropped up again.

11 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

21fNZhs8NaL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

A really nice Album with the Tommy Flanagan Trio. I even got it signed by Mr. Eddie Lockjaw Davis himself. He signed it with a dedication for me and seemed to be pleased that I had that Album. It was Long Long time ago, I think in 1978.