• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

R-1748545-1577943924-6573.jpeg.jpg

Have you Becheted today?  You'll be glad you did!;)

It amazes me that what we hear here is, due to the recording technology limitations of the time, only a rough approximation of what Sidney Bechet's playing actually sounded like -- and yet this music still kills me with its vigor and cockiness and sense of fun and adventure.  I don't know if I could have withstood hearing the full power and majesty of Sidney Bechet's playing live and in person.  It'd like be enough to make a body tremble.

Yes sir!  You hit the nail on the head.

Bechet's music is full of vitality!  It's LEAPS out at you. :tup 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-4093809-1366153048-6886.jpeg.jpg

I really like John Tchicai, although I will probably never learn to spell "Tchicai" by memory.

No matter, that guy could play.

918jS2dgguL._SS500_.jpg

This reminded me to listen to John Tchicai's last recording by this Garrison Fewell group.  With Roy Campbell, Jr., Steve Swell, Dmitry Ishenko and Reggie Nicholson rounding out the band, it's an album many here would enjoy.

I was part of the Kickstarter for it and have a notecard signed by the band (minus Campbell).  When the official release date got pushed back, Fewell made a nice CD-R edition to send Kickstarter backers.  He and Campbell left us not too long after Tchicai passed away.

10 hours ago, Joe said:

omg, just now looking at what this really is...it's real, isn't it?

I was around for the tail end of that "era"...it was how I got my ass out of Denton and out into the rest of america (and just a teence of Canada)...musically, it was a trip, to put it mildly. "Aspirational" at every level, and believe me, there were a seemingly infinite # of levels...I learned so many lessons doing that circuit for 13 months, and I met my wife too.

If i ever do listen to this, it will need to be under adult supervision, adult medication, and adult restraint. Not one or two, but all three, at the same time, for the duration...

I don't think I'm ready.

R-11081780-1509514304-5974.jpeg.jpg

Phil Wright - Feeling Wright: A thread about Buster Cooper and Thurman Green's wonderful E-bone-ix led me to pull it out for a couple of spins and order this album by the date's pianist.  The seller's description said that the booklet had writing that said 'My Husband and Gloria Hearry?' on it.

Upon receiving it, a Google search revealed that the signature was that of Bond girl Gloria Hendry, Wright's wife!  Pretty cool.

23 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Classic ....

Indeed, though I must admit that I listen rarely to the earlier 1960/61 Hubbard Albums, I listen much more to the more modal Things he did on the 1964/65 Albums like "Blue Spirit" and "Breaking Point". Not that the earlier Albums are not good, they are fantastic, but it´s still the old hard bop Routine and I love Hubbard most for the stuff he developed after that. 

28 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Indeed, though I must admit that I listen rarely to the earlier 1960/61 Hubbard Albums, I listen much more to the more modal Things he did on the 1964/65 Albums like "Blue Spirit" and "Breaking Point". Not that the earlier Albums are not good, they are fantastic, but it´s still the old hard bop Routine and I love Hubbard most for the stuff he developed after that. 

Btw featuring some of Hank Mobley's finest hours ....

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

omg, just now looking at what this really is...it's real, isn't it?

I was around for the tail end of that "era"...it was how I got my ass out of Denton and out into the rest of america (and just a teence of Canada)...musically, it was a trip, to put it mildly. "Aspirational" at every level, and believe me, there were a seemingly infinite # of levels...I learned so many lessons doing that circuit for 13 months, and I met my wife too.

If i ever do listen to this, it will need to be under adult supervision, adult medication, and adult restraint. Not one or two, but all three, at the same time, for the duration...

I don't think I'm ready.

I found it to be quite lovely. Lots of atmosphere, as you might imagine... more gauzy than sleazy. You might find this more appealing, though: https://cabinetofcuriosities.bandcamp.com/album/visible-and-invisible-persons-distributed-in-space.

Or this, for that matter: https://cabinetofcuriosities.bandcamp.com/album/youre-not-from-around-here.