• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, saskimo said:

$_3.JPG

OJC -055 (P-7037) LP 1983. Really loving the OJC re-issues. Great way to explore the world of jazz. Just wish I could find more of them around here. If anyone has a bunch of these for sale for a decent price let me know. 

6 hours ago, saskimo said:

R-4165572-1357433996-4358.jpeg.jpg

OJC-111 (DLP-3) LP 

I also love those OJC records. From Tadd Dameron I also have "Mating Call" (the one with John Coltrane), and the 1953 Massey Hall set of Bud Powell with Mingus and Roach is some of Bud´s best playing of all times. 

Almost the anniversary of this one -- April 29, 1988

515C7fVEdfL._SY355_.jpg

Disc 1 and 2 of 2.  Chet Baker with the NDR Big Band (notable American members included Herb Geller and Walter Norris) and the Rundfunk Orchestra Hannover des NDR.  This concert at the Funkhaus (does your city have a Funkhaus?  does it deserve to?) in Hannover was presented just 2 weeks before Mr. Baker's sudden demise.  The liner notes state that there were supposed to be 2 days of rehearsal with this ensemble, but the star did not show up until the day of the concert, so there was only one rehearsal that included him.  The music is quite nice nonetheless.  His chops were quite together for this show and he probably loved the opportunity to perform with strings.

This is far away from "a perfect Mingus album" but with all it´s shortcomings it has really great moments. 

I listen to the CD version with the additional tracks, but the first time I had it on LP with the painted cover art. 

From all the great moments of music (Clark at the Dark is fantastic) I like especially the ballads "My Search" based on "I can´t get started" with some great piano by Toshiko and a great Mingus solo, and "Duke´s Choice" .

images (1).jpg

Download (3).jpg