Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

71MdlaUQ8%2BL._SL1077_.jpg

Discs 1 & 2 of 3.  Disc 1 is Oscar Peterson Trio & JATP style music.  Disc 2 is all Ellington Orchestra.  Was this some sort of touring musical package assembled by Norman Granz?  The credits on this release are kind of sketchy.  They merely state that this material was recorded in New York, Hollywood and Oakland, CA in June & July 1967.  Does that mean then there are (at least) three complete Ellington concerts that have yet to see the light of day?  I'm assuming what we hear here is an assembly of what were considered the best selections from the various recorded performances.  However, if there is any unreleased Ellington material -- and I can't imagine Norman Granz throwing away any Ellington material whether he planned on using it commercially or not -- left in the vaults, that might be a treasure vein worth exploring.  I would buy a complete set of the Ellington band's portions from these (and any other dates they may have recorded) concerts.

13 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Some people don't seem to like this one, but it sounds great to me:

stitt.jpg

It is interesting how Stitt eventually recorded this "Bird Songs" Album. 

Usually he didn´t want to be too much associated with Bird, anyway he has his own unique style. 

I saw him live once and he played at least one tune that was on a Bird with Strings Album. The tune was "They can´t take that away from me"

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

👍Great music indeed👍....

it sure is. I also have this Edition, but I also have the original separate 2 LPs. 

Edited by Gheorghe

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It is interesting how Stitt eventually recorded this "Bird Songs" Album. 

Usually he didn´t want to be too much associated with Bird, anyway he has his own unique style. 

I saw him live once and he played at least one tune that was on a Bird with Strings Album. The tune was "They can´t take that away from me"

it sure is. I also have this Edition, but I also have the original separate 2 LPs. 

I believe I have a Stitt album somewhere titled "Don"t Call Me Bird". I'll have to look for it.

Maybe some of you might find that listening to those two albums one after the other is strange and unusual, but when I was a young boy, another guy from one or to grades up borrowed me those two LPs , maybe the only 2 "jazz LPs" he had. So I taped them on a 90min Cassette, but of course bought the CDs decades later. 

The Miles album IMHO the best from the Prestige series, and also the Headhunters is really a classic, great music on both , and last not least, it shows how our generation was, we were open to good acoustic jazz as well to the then actual electric stuff.....

Download (8).jpg

Download (9).jpg