• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disc 2 of this great concert recording. I need to rewatch the video again soon. I just love how Jamal and Lateef have matured and become these masters who use their incredible technical skills to lead and inspire and create an atmosphere and draw one into the music. The sound puts you right at the heart of the perfornance as well.

ahmad-jamal-yusef-lateef-live-at-the-oly

Followed by Art Taylor, "a.t.'s Delight" this time on "24 bit by RVG" lp facsimile cd from Blue Note Japan.

artwork-440x440.jpg

Followed by Miles Davis and Gil Evans "Porgy and Bess" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

miles_davis_porgy_and_bess.jpg

One SACD led to another, now playing 'The Soul of Ben Webster" on Analogue Productions SACD

MI0000074124.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0003765624.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

51RFwwUV3fL._SY400_.jpg

Curt Berg - At Stagg Street Studio: I wasn't familiar with any of the musicians involved, but this is a great quintet date on Origin.  The drummer, Bill Berg, was on Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and his unpredictable drumming adds a lot to this album .  I don't know if the leader is any relation, but he wrote some excellent tunes and arrangements.  It's an album that manages to be melodic and yet still modern with an edge.  

14 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

31u4dypl93L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Great early work of the Little Giant ! 

I think this one was not so easy to purchase when I started collecting BN CDs in the 90´s . The most famous and easy to purchase Album was the "Blowin Session". This one is also very very fine ! 

I was lucky I saw Griffin on several occasions live. The first time was in  spring 1978 in a small Viennese Club "Jazz-Freddie" , and the quartet was marvellous: Fritz Pauer on piano, Jimmy Woode on bass and Tony Inzalaco (who also recorded with Dexter) on drums. I think this was before Griff returned to the States. 

The last time I saw him must have been around 2004, 2005, he had slowed down a bit, but still a lot of great Music there……, on "Lester Leaps In" he was really back , sounding as sharp as 40 years earlier…...

So many great memories with Griffin, I love him.