So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71Ma-gSv7ML._SX466_.jpg

Art Farmer - Brass Shout and Aztec Suite (Blue Note, originally UA)
I love the big fat bottom that Don Butterfield's tuba brings to Brass Shout.  I guess Benny Golson deserves credit for the arrangements -- and Percy Heath too for the way that he and Butterfield dance around one another so beautifully in the basement.

and

81LzKB6Qr%2BL._SL466_.jpg

Miles Davis Quintet - Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 2 (Sony Legacy)
Disc 2

Incredible.  All of them.  But Wayne!  Phew!!!

The Miles 1969 is really interesting. Such a large range of program, they played some old swing stuff like "NO Blues" or "Milestones" and also the then brand new Bitches Brew stuff like "Miles runs the Voodoo down"...… Only the tune "Directions" never really reached me, somehow it´s too free, but not free in the manner I like it (Ornette Coleman), but in a colder, more intellectual manner…..

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

91GDED0EdeL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Funny I never knew this with this title, *or* Take This Hammer  which Discogs indicates was the original release. But since I recognized the tune, I knew I had it from some oddball "blues" LP box I got years ago, pretty sure it was the only session I transferred to digital (maybe the other was Odetta?). Anyway, with Teddy Edwards, so many, many :tup from me.

R-1074366-1190496489.jpeg.jpg

simultaneously exciting and depressing. The energy level is high, and Red Holloway is in his primest of prime forms here, but Sonny Stitt, in keeping up and not falling behind, sounds...tired, and old, like an aging warrior who is doing this because there's nothing else he CAN do...he's still got skills, but you can also hear that he's wearing himself out.

No matter how good it is, hearing Stitt here can possibly ask the question of it this is all there is to this, maybe there's something else to be had out of this life.

?

Records like this need to exist, because that's a question that should always be asked.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

s-l1600.jpg

Art Davis, Elvin Jones, and presumably God, all in the same place at the same time doing the same thing.

and yet...

It's a subgenre--the swinging jazz priest/reverend. There is a follow-up album on RCA, with less esteemed sidemen, but live at Baker's Keyboard Lounge.Image result for father Tom Vaughn

8 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

It's a subgenre--the swinging jazz priest/reverend. There is a follow-up album on RCA, with less esteemed sidemen, but live at Baker's Keyboard Lounge.Image result for father Tom Vaughn

and there's one more RCA, look for it if you like...the cat got a 3-record deal with RCA.

It's actually called Cornbread...

71CVx8xebtL._SS500_.jpg

Tab Smith is one of those guys who, since I have only a couple of discs featuring him, and since I only listen to those discs infrequently (i'm sure it's been years since I last listened to this CD), each time I do listen to him, it's like making a new discovery each time!  "Hey, this guy's good!".

28 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

81ukL+N01-L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Yes like that "boppish" early Shearing

24 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Music to nap to, but damn, is Hackett's trumpet gorgeous!

gleason.jpg

Have at leat 3 of those shown album covers. Hackett is always good on these moody discs. Sometimes also Toots Mondello.

Edited by jazzcorner

Listened to twice earlier today:

61EHf-7m+EL._SS600_.jpg

So much to love about this record.  But Johnny Hodges on "Blood Count" and "Day Dream"!  Oh!!!  ... It's so much more than beautiful.

Now more Duke from around the same time:

61m7wtbT4yL._SX522_.jpg

This week, I'm taking PTO but not going anywhere, having a relaxing staycation.  It's much needed after several months of long days at work. 

So I'm getting even more music listening time than usual.  :D