Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Unbelievable!  I picked up this CD several years ago because I knew that I eventually wanted to do a Night Lights show about the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival.  This morning I put it on for the first time, as that show's coming up in a few weeks, and came here to post that I was listening to it... had not checked this thread in some time.  What a weird coincidence!  I'm about halfway through the first set, Bit T is introducing his mother as I type.  

Hey -- Great minds stink alike! :D  I hope you enjoyed the whole CD.

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

IIRC That's the cd on which he says he and Glen Miller wrote the verse to Basin Street Blues. 

Yes, exactly.  He says that in the intro to his version of that song here.

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

Hey -- Great minds stink alike! :D  I hope you enjoyed the whole CD.

Yes, exactly.  He says that in the intro to his version of that song here.

I hadn't read this anywhere and I contacted someone (Ted Gioia iirc) who had written about the song  but  not mentioned it. Said he'd put it in the next edition. 

NP:

71m1%2B0JMI4L._SL500_.jpg

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Anmerkung-2020-08-03-204417.jpg

The master of subtle harmonic shifts that are like a delightful punch in the gut!  :) 

30 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu-1.jpeg

I bet you a dollar that music is fantastic.  I love Mickey Tucker -- even tho' I haven't heard that particular record.

But I've got to say that cover image is really, really, really bad.  Just awful.

This stream: https://www.npr.org/2020/07/23/894579168/the-golden-age-a-newport-jazz-festival-special

<< The Newport Jazz Festival was just one year old when the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet blazed onto its stage in 1955. By 1960, when pianists Dave Brubeck and Horace Silver each played a rollicking set, the event was an institution, known all over the world. And so it remains today — though there's something to be said about the fest in that formative era, when every step forward was historic.

For all of us at Jazz Night in America, the Newport Jazz Festival is both hallowed ground and a cherished hang. Our host, Christian McBride, is the festival's artistic director. (Call that a disclosure, if you like; we think of it as a heavy asset.) So this summer, in the absence of a physical gathering, we've set out to lovingly recreate the festival experience, Jazz Night-style.

Our three-part series begins with The Golden Age — a jump back to the mid-to-late '50s, featuring McBride's selection of rare and unreleased Newport recordings by Brown and Roach, Brubeck and Silver, along with a killer festival house band. (Will there also be a taste of Muddy Waters? You'll have to listen to know for sure.)

Musicians

Newport House Band: Joe Zawinul, piano; Howard McGhee, trumpet; Clark Terry, trumpet; Zoot Sims, tenor saxophone; Wendell Marshall, bass; Roy Haynes, drums.

Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet: Clifford Brown, trumpet; Max Roach, drums; Harold Land, tenor sax; Richie Powell, piano; George Morrow, bass.

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck, piano; Paul Desmond, alto saxophone; Eugene Wright, bass; Joe Morello, drums.

Horace Silver Quintet: Horace Silver, piano; Blue Mitchell, trumpet; Junior Cook, tenor saxophone; Gene Taylor, bass; Roy Brooks, drums.

Set List

"Chasin' At Newport" (Newport House Band)
"Jaquis" (Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet)
"I Get A Kick Out Of You" (Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet)
"Swanee River Boogie" (Dave Brubeck Quartet)
"Blue Rondo À La Turk" (Dave Brubeck Quartet)
"Señor Blues" (Horace Silver Quintet)
"Sister Sadie" (Horace Silver Quintet)
"Goodbye Newport Blues" (Muddy Waters) >>

61rc7YWEIwL._SY400_.jpg

I don't know if I'd ever heard Childers as a soloist before receiving this album yesterday.  I found a signed copy on eBay and was interested in hearing him with Russ Garcia's arrangements.  I'm on my fourth back-to-back listen, which is rare.  The combination of Childers' sunny, melodic flugelhorn and Garcia's lush arrangements is a fine way to close out a night or start the day.