So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

The Awakening "Hear, Sense and Feel" Black Jazz Records, Real Gone cd, out a few days ago.

I really like this--first time hearing it. It's almost as if Duke Pearson had a record almost ready and at the last minute Sun Ra came in and arranged it and he and his team produced it. :) Really nice mastering.

BJ9_0001_zps4ac1aa92.png?fit=787%2C800&s

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

image0.jpeg

I like Avery.  He's one of the young players who emerged on a major label in the '90s and should have a higher profile today.  In Other Words was a really strong debut; he came out of the gate with a surprisingly mature way with a ballad, I thought.  He's picking up the pace of his recordings after a nine-year gap, with this being his 4th since 2017.

I saw him with Red Holloway the year before Holloway died and Avery got some extra space because Holloway was nursing a broken pinkie.  Avery fit in well with Holloway's organ group.

Now finishing:

51m4pGDkfrL._SY400_.jpg

I've now listened to this twice in the last few days as part of my Uptown binge.  Although I am sorely missing live music, recordings like this remind me of concerts I've attended.  In this case, I was reminded of the two sets of Richard Wyands with Jeremy Pelt and Peter Washington at Mezzrow.

Edited by Justin V