JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

8,601 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Steve Lacy & Andrea CentazzoTao (Ictus Records) 

MI0003105324.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

— Soprano sax and percussion duet.
— Live in concert at Zanon Auditorium, Udine, Italy (1976) and in studio, Bolgna (1984).

Edited by alankin

Tete Montoliu - Palau De La Música Catalana - Piano Solo 21-03-1997 (Discmedi Blau, 1997)

DM5147.jpg?maxw=300&maxh=300

AmbroseAkinmusire_ARiftInDecorum_cover.j

Ambrose Akinmusire - A Rift In Decorum: Live At The Village Vanguard (Blue Note, 2017).  Ambrose Akinmusire - trumpet; Sam Harris - piano; Harish Raghavan - bass; Justin Brown - drums.

Organissimo Radio on Pandora

Three Shades of Blues

Bukka White, Skip James, Blind Willie McTell: Three Shades of Blues (Biograph)

FW05442.jpg

3 hours ago, kinuta said:

https://artistxite.ie/imgcache/album/000/132/000132732_500.jpg

Excellent ....feat. some great Joe Henderson solo work ....

18 hours ago, alankin said:

Art BlakeyArt Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (Atlantic Records / Warner Music)
— With Art Blakey – drums; Bill Hardman – trumpet; Johnny Griffin – tenor saxophone; Thelonious Monk – piano; Spanky DeBrest – bass; with three alternate takes

51QiWulHPiL.jpg

Has anyone heard the recent SHM-CD release?  I have the 2002 "Atlantic Masters" issued by Warner.  I think it's based on the 1999 Rhino release.  I don't like the sound of the horns - they sound harsh to me.  I don't know if it's due to the original recording, the mastering or maybe my system.

I am now listening to my copy of the 1999 Deluxe 50th anniversary edition and the horns do sound a bit harsh. The disc is not particularly loud. I can comfortably put the volume dial at nine o'clock. I believe the earlier US disc had some extreme stereo separation issues and the recent Japanese mono disc I used to own has boosted highs and so must sound even harsher and probably louder. 

R-2709930-1351183544-8686.jpeg.jpg

Feat. the phenomenal Israel Crosby on bass ....

Kool and the Gang at Glastonbury 2011 with Michael Ray (tr) and the late Clifford Adams (tb)

Henry "Red" Allen's All Stars ‎– Ride, Red, Ride In Hi-Fi (aka World On A String) (RCA Victor/Bluebird, 1957)

R-3161492-1415364766-6884.jpeg.jpgR-8792857-1468871574-1283.jpeg.jpg

Bobby HutchersonHighway One [3-on-2] (BGO Records / Columbia Records – Sony Music)

Highway_One.jpg  510xCSXFtEL.jpg

Personnel:
Bobby Hutcherson - vibes, arranger; James Leary - bass; Eddie Marshall - drums; George Cables - piano, electric piano (tracks 1 & 3-6), arranger; Cedar Walton - piano (track 2), arranger; Hubert Laws - flute (tracks 1, 5 & 6); Freddie Hubbard - flugelhorn (track 4); Kenneth Nash - percussion (tracks 1, 3, 5 & 6); Jessica Cleaves - vocals (track 6); plus unnamed strings and brass.

Very good session (except for the vocals on a portion of the last track).  This first CD release sounds good, too.