So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Toots ThielemansEast Coast West Coast (Private Music)

51-u9b1EDbL.jpg

With: (collectively) Toots Thielemans — Harmonica, Ernie Watts — Sax (Tenor), Joshua Redman — Sax (Tenor), Terence Blanchard — Trumpet, Jerry Goodman — Violin, Mike Mainieri — Vibraphone, Herbie Hancock — Piano, Lyle Mays — Piano, Bruce Barth — Piano, Alan Broadbent — Piano, Michael Lang — Piano, John Scofield — Guitar, Robben Ford — Guitar, Charlie Haden — Bass, Christian McBride — Bass, Dave Carpenter — Bass, Troy Davis — Drums, Peter Erskine — Drums 

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tadd Dameron & Fats Navarro, Live at Birdland 1949 (Jazz Anthology)

Stumbled across this during some shall we say 'enthusiastic' buying sprees on discogs. Impressive sound, I must say but I am left wondering if this had another more "official" release? Were there any airshots on the "Complete Blue Note/Capitol" two cd release? 

I just had a terrible thought, that this is all from that release, with fake applause and a claim its from Birdland. If I got snookered, please don't tell me.

14 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Tadd Dameron & Fats Navarro, Live at Birdland 1949 (Jazz Anthology)

Stumbled across this during some shall we say 'enthusiastic' buying sprees on discogs. Impressive sound, I must say but I am left wondering if this had another more "official" release? Were there any airshots on the "Complete Blue Note/Capitol" two cd release? 

I just had a terrible thought, that this is all from that release, with fake applause and a claim its from Birdland. If I got snookered, please don't tell me.

I can tell you that that label released a lot of Boris rose airchecks, and that iirc, this would be that. Milestone(?) did a two-fer LP of Navarro/Dameron airshots, no idea if this is that, but I don't recall Jazz Anthology issuing "fake" stuff.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I can tell you that that label released a lot of Boris rose airchecks, and that iirc, this would be that. Milestone(?) did a two-fer LP of Navarro/Dameron airshots, no idea if this is that, but I don't recall Jazz Anthology issuing "fake" stuff.

Yeah, a little discogs investigation found another release on another label pf the same material and the notes on that page says its a Rose aircheck.

Gotta say its better sound than I've heard on some of those Rose things. Also, Allen Eager.

A nice addition and real cheap too.

I'm listening to the stereo SACD of this title as the just-released mono SACD is on the mail truck out to me today. I haven't listened to this since the first weeks it was released, and it's an amazing SACD. You can hear so much of the details of his singing and playing, the room and the percussion he adds to the guitar and with his body. 

UDSACD2123-2.jpg