• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Terrific ....

This is one of those recordings that, in a few minutes, always change my mood to positive. Same happens with Lester Young Aladdin recordings, the Webster-Blanton Duke Ellington recordings, Louis Armstrong's Hot 5s and 7s, the Fats Navarro-Tadd Dameron sides, some of the grooviest 50s Blue Notes, Old Testament Basie with Jimmie Rushing vocals, the Armstrong-Ella Fitzgerald discs... and a few more. Not that these are the best recordings ever -some of them definitely are- but just talking about positive effect on my mood...

I might start a thread on this... :) 

It was this quartet I saw live when I first heard Dizzy in my teens. Great quartet with Rodney Jones, the legendary Benjamin Franklin Brown on el-b, and the great Mickey Roker on drums. On the second CD Leo Wright is added to the regular quartet. 

I saw Dizzy some years later again with a quartet consisting of Ed Cherry, Mike Howell and veterane drummer J.C. Heard. 

The next time it was a Dizzy Allstars quintet with Harold Land, George Cables, Herbie Lewis and Louis Hayes.

And the last time was in 1987 a special 70´s birthyday Big Band......

So many memories of great Dizzy performances. 

Download (3).jpg

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

It was this quartet I saw live when I first heard Dizzy in my teens. Great quartet with Rodney Jones, the legendary Benjamin Franklin Brown on el-b, and the great Mickey Roker on drums. On the second CD Leo Wright is added to the regular quartet. 

I saw Dizzy some years later again with a quartet consisting of Ed Cherry, Mike Howell and veterane drummer J.C. Heard. 

The next time it was a Dizzy Allstars quintet with Harold Land, George Cables, Herbie Lewis and Louis Hayes.

And the last time was in 1987 a special 70´s birthyday Big Band......

So many memories of great Dizzy performances. 

Download (3).jpg

My history of seeing Dizzy stretched from 1959 when I saw him with his Have Trumpet Will Excite quintet of Les Spann, Junior Mance, Sam Jones and Lex Humphries at the St George's Hall, Bradford UK via the Giants of Jazz tour with Stitt, Winding, Monk, McKibbon and Blakey which I saw at the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road, London to the United Nations Orchestra with Paquito D'Rivera, Claudio Roditi, Arturo Sandoval and others which I saw at the Odeon Cinema, Manchester in 1991.