• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Coltrane "Kulu Se Mama" Impulse Japan UHQCD

Obviously I wanted more cowbell.

As time goes by it occurs to me that this album is sort of a hidden influential time machine in the Coltrane catalog. The large ensemble pieces seem like a window into the 'seventies. I honestly could be convinced that Miles Davis listened to this intently and it shaped his electric period. And even the other numbers could conceivably have inspired explorations like "Go Ahead John" and "Lonely Fire" and '73 to '75 concerts, and perhaps even the mic'ing and mixing and collage of Miles and Teo Macero. Certainly there was a lot of "spiritual jazz" of the next decade that sprang from this soil. A case could perhaps be made that this album is another reason John Coltrane cast such a huge and long shadow.

s-l640.jpg

This new mastering is very good. Certainly I have never heard this sound this good.

Edited by jazzbo

17 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Darius Jones Trio - Big Gurl (Smell My Dream) (AUM Fidelity, 2011)

R-3371448-1327768497.jpeg.jpg

It's not my favourite of Hutcherson's performances, and his playing does colour the album as a whole, I guess.

Hubbard seemed to get everywhere at that point, including places that he probably could have stayed out of. But I think he's good here, certainly compared to the lost soul on some other records from the period. 

R-975657-1232008036.jpeg.jpg

VSOP - The Quintet (Columbia, 1977).

This album's a bit like a school reunion. Everyone is a bit heavier and balder, but you quickly remember why you were friends originally.

Wayne in particular seems to be relishing his day out away from the family. 

I've actually never spent any time with any VSOP albums. No reason other than they've never popped up on my radar. 

Freddie Hubbard "Gleam" Sony/BGO 

gleam.jpg?itok=RZwUH_gx

I totally missed this one in the day, and am glad to have this two cd set now. I appreciate Freddie Hubbard more and more as time goes on. He's gone from "okay" to "wow" in my vocabulary, it took me a while to appreciate him fully.

38 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

gleam.jpg?itok=RZwUH_gx

I totally missed this one in the day, and am glad to have this two cd set now. I appreciate Freddie Hubbard more and more as time goes on. He's gone from "okay" to "wow" in my vocabulary, it took me a while to appreciate him fully.

Keep Your Soul Together/High Energy/Gleam-a superb run of consecutive albums.

56 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

gleam.jpg?itok=RZwUH_gx

16 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Keep Your Soul Together/High Energy/Gleam-a superb run of consecutive albums.

Gleam was a Japan-only thing back in the day, right?

I've only heard bits-and-pieces on YT.  Sounds like I need to go get it.  ;) 

1 minute ago, HutchFan said:

Gleam was a Japan-only thing back in the day, right?

I've only heard bits-and-pieces on YT.  Sounds like I need to go get it.  ;) 

Yes; I never even heard of Gleam back in the day until I read about it here. It was basically unavailable until Wounded Bird reissued it.

2 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Yes; I never even heard of Gleam back in the day until I read about it here. It was basically unavailable until Wounded Bird reissued it.

Cool.  Thought so.  I'm adding it to my list.  :tup 

NP:

81V07eKoNVL._SS500_.jpg

Max Roach - Deeds, Not Words (Riverside/OJC)

On a Booker Little kick over the last few days.

Gone at 23 years old.  Ugh.  Just think of all the things he could've done.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I've actually never spent any time with any VSOP albums. No reason other than they've never popped up on my radar. 

I listen to this first Live one every so often. Obviously it’s a rehash of what went before, but Herbie is more confident and Wayne is on another journey by this point. Downsides are Ron Carter’s awful bass sound and Freddie Hubbard not being in his prime.

In the Late 70s rechauffee stakes I’d probably pick Old and New Dreams as my choice long before VSOP, but It’s worth it every so often.