• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Three Worlds of Drums" is one of Mingus´ great works, it runs for almost 30 minutes. 

I think, this was Mingus´ first album on which he decided not to play bass himself, just to accentuate his role as a composer. I remember I read somewhere that he said he would like to be reminded as a composer.

But I must admit, it would have been even greater if Mingus would have played bass himself. Eddie Gomez and Jiri Mraz are great, but even if it is two bass players they don´t get the unique strong bass of Mr. Mingus himself, but as I suppose, he just wanted to accentuate more his role as a composer. 

Larry Coryell is also great on this.....

Download (6).jpg

10 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

"Three Worlds of Drums" is one of Mingus´ great works, it runs for almost 30 minutes. 

I think, this was Mingus´ first album on which he decided not to play bass himself, just to accentuate his role as a composer. I remember I read somewhere that he said he would like to be reminded as a composer.

But I must admit, it would have been even greater if Mingus would have played bass himself. Eddie Gomez and Jiri Mraz are great, but even if it is two bass players they don´t get the unique strong bass of Mr. Mingus himself, but as I suppose, he just wanted to accentuate more his role as a composer. 

Larry Coryell is also great on this.....

Download (6).jpg

At that point, he couldn't play the bass any more. He had ALS.

John Butcher - Stuck (Takuroku, 2020)

john-butcher-cover_page_image.jpg

A coronavirus solo piece. One of Butcher's best in while I think. Recommended if your... proclivities turn this way.

Nate Wooley Quintet - (Dance To) The Early Music (Clean Feed, 2015)

R-7739209-1447782252-3189.jpeg.jpg

Nate Woolley's band playing creative interpretations of Wynton Marsalis tunes. One of my favourite records of the last decade.

Edited by Rabshakeh

51WVnqfxU%2BL._SX505_.jpg

55 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

R-7840245-1449927592-7136.jpeg.jpg

John, what do you think of that disc?  I've never heard it.

It certainly looks interesting.  That's the same trio backing Tate that backed Paul Desmond on Live (and the recent Mosaic set), right?

EDIT: 
I just checked Discogs, and I see that Bickert and Don Thompson played on Desmond's Live and this Tate date.  But Terry Clarke is the drummer for Tate and Jerry Fuller plays on Desmond's record. ... So two-thirds the same. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

John, what do you think of that disc?  I've never heard it.

It certainly looks interesting.  That's the same trio backing Tate that backed Paul Desmond on Live (and the recent Mosaic set), right?

EDIT: 
I just checked Discogs, and I see that Bickert and Don Thompson played on Desmond's Live and this Tate date.  But Terry Clarke is the drummer for Tate and Jerry Fuller plays on Desmond's record. ... So two-thirds the same. ;) 

It's a very nice disc, which will be enjoyed by all Tate fans. Ed Bickert's playing is outstanding.  I really like the sonic combination of tenor and guitar.  

But I think this one is even better:

Texas Tenor by Buddy Tate Quartet (2014-09-16?