• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Count Basie et al "Basie Jame 3" Pablo cd

What a band!

MI0000485481.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Yeah!  Great band, great record!  

I think that one -- and Basie Jam No. 2 with the same band -- are my two favorite Pablo jam session records.

NP:

714dD4HCMkL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

11 hours ago, duaneiac said:

41FFW449K2L.jpg

I only have this volume from what I gather was a 5 volume series.  If the other discs are anywhere near as good as this, it is a gross miscarriage of musical justice for Concord/whoever to let these discs go OOP.  It may not be the most important of Mr. Young's recordings, but it is thoroughly enjoyable.  His playing sounds very comfortable and energetic here -- he had both the will and the strength to deliver fine music on those nights.  One would think they could easily put the 5 volumes (I'm sure no one would bother to check in the vaults to see if there is any other unissued material from those gigs -- don't even bother asking for that) into a 3 CD set, call it Pres In DC, get it talked about on a couple of NPR shows and it sells itself.

47 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Simply excellent!!

Yes, but then I've never been disappointed by a Dave McKenna album.

41Z15J0F10L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

harry-warren-american-songbook-series-sm

A few more than usual number of jazz (and jazzish) performers on this Smithsonian compilation.  It helps that three of Mr. Warren's tunes were major hits for Glenn Miller and Harry James and those versions are included here.  Those 22 tracks form a pretty impressive body of work and they don't even include Mr. Warren's first published song, "Rose of The Rio Grande".  "The More I See You" can rightfully stand aside anything written by Gershwin, Porter, Berlin or Kern.  It's rare for a song to unfold that naturally and effortlessly.

The revelation for me was "Friendly Star".   Fine song.

It may not have yet been dubbed so, but I think one day the 21st century will come to be known as the Post-Jaunty Era.  Bombarded as we are and forevermore will be with all manner of digital information/anxieties/brain candy, it's just too overwhelming for people to live an openly jaunty lifestyle.  So in some distant future when your grandkids ask "What does 'jaunty' mean?",  just play them "Chattanooga Choo Choo"  and they'll understand.

Edited by duaneiac