So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Nice little album.

images (1).jpg

I remember jazz critic and Liverpudlian humorist Steve Voce asking "Is Jutta really hip?"

P.S. So pleased to see from his Wikipedia entry that Steve is still writing about jazz and is coming up to his 87th birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Voce

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu-3.jpeg

Great idea! Time to get listenin' again!

600x600.jpg

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, BillF said:

I remember jazz critic and Liverpudlian humorist Steve Voce asking "Is Jutta really hip?"

P.S. So pleased to see from his Wikipedia entry that Steve is still writing about jazz and is coming up to his 87th birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Voce

Edited by EKE BBB

45 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Oh, I wasn't aware of that one. At Ronnie Scott's and with a DSM cover. Will have to watch out for it. And the label is Resonance? Does it have anything to do with the present one? I imagine not. The logo is completely different, plus with a DSM cover it must be from another time.

https://resonancerecords.org/product/bill-evans-live-at-ronnie-scotts/

Last night, to mark the Brubeck Centennial, I decided to reach into my Brubeck shelves and grab a disc without looking.  This was what I came up with --

71B524CQrQL._SX466_.jpg

so I listened to disc 2 of 2.  I hadn't listened to this one in a long time.  It's a 2004 concert recording from Frankfurt.  Some rewarding music if you are into the "jazz meets the symphony" kind of thing.

9 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Oh, I wasn't aware of that one. At Ronnie Scott's and with a DSM cover. Will have to watch out for it. And the label is Resonance? Does it have anything to do with the present one? I imagine not. The logo is completely different, plus with a DSM cover it must be from another time.

It’s Zev Feldman’s Resonance, and he explains in the booklet how he obtained that DSM portrait for the cover. 

3 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Joe Castro "Passion Flower for Doris Duke" disc 5

0016728139328_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Very curious your impressions of this set Lon. Especially the set with Cannonball (does he get some solo spots?) but really the whole thing. I know I'll pick this up eventually because I can't skip unissued Teddy Edwards but overall the recordings selected weren't as enticing as I had hoped would be in the vaults.

So far I've only listened to two discs, I'm rationing it out and mixing it in with a number of other things I want to hear after about 9 days without being able to listen due to power issues et al and I've listened to one of the original Atlantic albums plus alternates and the trio with Kotick and Motian. Will say this: mastering is EXCELLENT, and those two discs have very good music.

Right now: Phil Woods "Quartet/Quintet 20th Anniversary Set" Mosaic Records cd box set, disc 3

s-l400.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

R-4496677-1548983328-1449.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Never Again (Muse, 1972)

Badass Moody!

and

61kHdHJqP+L._SS600_.jpg

Jessica [Jennifer] Williams - Orgonomic Music (Clean Cuts, 1981)

with some fine contributions from Eddie Henderson -- but it's the ensemble playing and Williams' compositions that stand out.

Edited by HutchFan