So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now that's a very stealth record!

Sharing the back cover here, because when I went through a fitness (weights and running, got up to  9 miles a day!) bag in the late 70s, this picture was a bit of an inspiration, I wanted to be THIS person, in my own way.

R-2253718-1550902776-5090.jpeg.jpg

Fit, vital, and no neck strap!

Yeah, man!  Sonny was, is, and always be will be a Force of Nature!  

There's some damn good music on Nucleus. Today, the cut that hit me right between the eyes was "Azalea."  And not just Sonny's playing. All of it.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah, man!  Sonny was, is, and always be will be a Force of Nature!  

There's some damn good music on Nucleus. Today, the cut that hit me right between the eyes was "Azalea."  And not just Sonny's playing. All of it.

both "Azalea" and "Cosmet" are two of the better Rollins cuts from the Milestone years, yet neither made that Silver City set. go figure that.

The one that makes me smile (for no good reason) is the opener, basic doo-wop chages overandoveranoverandover and if I listen to it from above, like all I want to hear is a tenor solo, then it bores the shit out of me. But if I listen to from below, like I am where I am and these tenor sounds just pop in and say hi and then leave again,  overandoveranoverandover, it tickles the piss outta me, because, you know, life is like that for most people most of the time, they are going to be where they are doing what they're doing most the time. So when some noise comes in to effect a momentary change, lord, when it's a GREAT noise, be thankful for that. It ain't gonna last but for a second or two either way, but a BAD noise is just bad for everybody. Bad, like HARMFUL!

Too much harm as it is.

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

both "Azalea" and "Cosmet" are two of the better Rollins cuts from the Milestone years, yet neither made that Silver City set. go figure that.

The one that makes me smile (for no good reason) is the opener, basic doo-wop chages overandoveranoverandover and if I listen to it from above, like all I want to hear is a tenor solo, then it bores the shit out of me. But if I listen to from below, like I am where I am and these tenor sounds just pop in and say hi and then leave again,  overandoveranoverandover, it tickles the piss outta me, because, you know, life is like that for most people most of the time, they are going to be where they are doing what they're doing most the time. So when some noise comes in to effect a momentary change, lord, when it's a GREAT noise, be thankful for that. It ain't gonna last but for a second or two either way, but a BAD noise is just bad for everybody. Bad, like HARMFUL!

Too much harm as it is.

Love that description of the opening cut: "Above" and "below."  Different perspectives make for different experiences of music -- even if it's the same music.

I would've had a hard time getting off the term soulful:P  Because it's so much that.

R-1456287-1379438135-1034.jpeg.jpg

Stenson's Cantando really was not working for me, so I moved on to

The_Chant_(album).jpg

Sam Jones' The Chant which is really good. Les Spann's guitar is way in the back and completely understated. If I wasn't listening on headphones I may have even missed it...

Then on to

51x9f9iVxuL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Non jazz but Leroy Sibbles is always good so here it is.